1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Shoreline? *** is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrdak, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
  2. massrequiem

massrequiem

May 25, 2005
    Oxnard, CA
    Click Me!

This site says they are built to USA specs but made and only sold in Japan. Weird. Looks nice to me.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. Taken from the ESP Japan page...

Shoreline Series from Tokyo

Shoreline Seriesの感触は私自身が驚くほどにU.S.A.シリーズの物と非常に近く、信じがたいほどの完成度を持っています。もちろん、同じエレクトロニクスを使用し、サウンド面でも充分U.S.A.シリーズに匹敵するものと言えるでしょう。きっと満足して頂けるであろうと確信しています。

My grasp of kanji is fairly limited so I can't say that I can read that... however, Massrequiem is right. That's pretty cool. If it's any better than the Skyline series I can't even begin to see how American Laklands can be better.

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Interesting that the seller is in the US but the bass is in Japan. :confused:

Ugh. :rollno: :scowl:

6. Tool.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    +1 needmoney.

8. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Any particular reason it would be limited to Japan alone? Exclusivity perhaps?

I have seen that with one or two Fenders too.

9. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    It has something to do with the Japanese not liking to purchase Korean products. Thusly they can't market the US or Skyline series so ESP or whatever company makes them just for that market alone. The prices translate to US dollars at costs equivalent to the US models so there would be no reason for a US customer to really want one unless you believe their quality would esceed what is coming out of Chicago.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa

So basically a bit of snobbery.

Thanks, I had always wondered.

11. Wow, I honestly didn't think I'd be the fourth person to actually post that the comment was offensive and racist.

That makes me glad.:) About the numbers, not the comment. :scowl:

12. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    I never heard of a Shoreline till last night when I came across the two I saw on eBay. I really thought it was a scam at first. You never know with eBay. If anyone here has actually had one of these Shorelines, please talk about it. I can't believe for a second that the shoreline neck would compare at all to a Chicago neck.
    Regardless of how close they are in price.

13. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IMHO it's not! It's simply profit&cost analyses. It's no different than USA made Toyota or Honda. Not only Lakland but Fender and Music Man have production in Japan: http://www.kandashokai.co.jp/mm/bass/sr_ex1.htm

14. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston

If I am reading Johnny Alien correctly, snobbery is a reasonable description. If the following is true:

1. You could produce an instrument in Korea and ship it to Japan for less than it would cost to produce it in Japan.

2. The quality of the Korean instrument is the same or better than the Japanese instrument.

I suspect the first is true, I have no idea if the second is true in this case, but it is certainly possible.

There may be similar snobbery in the decision of Honda and Toyota and others to produce cars in the US; but I suspect that they may be able to manufacturing a car here for less than the cost of making it in Japan and shipping it here.

15. Sorry to continue the off-topic chat, but:
    Car companies such as Honda and Toyota build cars in our country because it is a loop-hole...US trade policy only allows them to send over a certain number of cars before they are hit with a heavy "dumping" tax. If they build the cars here, they are not importing and therefore do not have to pay a tax. Japanese manufacturers would much prefer to keep all of the production home (keep more people employed, more domestic revenue, etc.) but the reality is that the demand exceeds the allowable, importable supply.

I HIGHLY doubt that a similar situation applies to guitars...but I don't know. Any other reason (unless you are familiar with Japanese trade policies) is pure speculation.

Racist comments really don't add anything to this forum. I feel embarrassed by this comment and I hope that our members from Japan (or Japanese heritage) realize that this is not typical of our collective mentality. Stupid things like that are part of the reason the rest of the world doesn't like us here in the USA.

16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the japanese have a history of making great instruments and electronics.
    you @$#!head.

17. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    From what have read in the Dudepit forum the Shoreline series in Japan the same as the Skyline in the U.S.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think I remember hearing about this a whille back , those laklands are some pretty sweet basses.

19. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    "I am very impressed by how close The Shoreline Series is in feel to the USA series. I'm surprised by the the incredible level of quality. Of course, the Shoreline Series uses the same electronics as the USA Series and will sound very similar. I believe you will be satisfied." - Dan Lakin

And +1 to the OP being a tool.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I wouldn't call it snobbery. It is more that they prefer to buy products made in their own country. I don't don't see anything wrong with that, I prefer to buy things made in the US because it provides jobs for the people in my country. I think their may be some high import tariffs there too. When I was there I saw a lot of Gibson guitars in the stores there, but they were extremely expensive.