Lakland Shoreline Series NOT Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordacr, Jun 29, 2004.

1. I thought this was interesting. I learned about this on the Dudepit last night. Apparently there is a series of basses made in Japan for Japan only called the Shoreline series. They are made by ESP in Tokyo. They look like they are like the Skyline series but made and setup in Japan instead of made in Korea and set up in U.S. Here is a link:

Lakland Shoreline Series Basses

and a picture of the headstock:

I am not sure how they compare. From what I read I am guessing they are somewhere between Skyline and U.S. quality.

2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    lol, I didnt even know that ESP owned Lakland?
  3. They are made for Lakland by ESP. I also read that the Lakland Skylines are made in the Cort factory and Cort does not own Lakland :)
  4. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    doesn't seem to cost effective to make them in japan, send them to the us, and then back to japan. :confused:
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    That's why they're "made and setup in Japan" as jordacr said. :)
  6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    ah sorry, i read the bit about being set up in the US as with the skyline. man i feel stupid. :(
  7. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    They don't seem to be that cheap to begin with. Even if they are made in Japan.
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't think they're meant to be cheap.

If I remember correctly, these basses are only going to be sold in Japan. They're probably the alternative to USA Laklands, since I'm sure they're extremely expensive over there.
  9. A Lakland US 4-94 Deluxe is between $4,500-$5,000 new over there.
  10. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You know....... I'm getting kind of sick of these guys
  11. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
  12. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I live in Japan, and its been my experience that Japanese gear is expensive even here. Even when you are talking about a Japanese company. For example, even Japanese made Ibanez basses are more expensive here than in the States (typically 25% more). I have not seen the Shoreline series here, I will keep my open for them and if I discover anything I will post my findings.

The really good deals here are for used instruments. Typically a used ax will be absolutly pristine, and because the Japanese don't like used gear (unless you are talking vintage USA basses/guitars), you can get some really good deals. When it comes to USA made basses the prices are ungodly; I could sell my '74 Rick here for anywhere between 3 to 6 grand!
  13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

It 's interesting seeing the different markets for instruments. Why don't you guys like used stuff over there? The used instrument market over here has always been pretty good.
  14. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    This seems to be somewhat of a cultural thing. My experience with the 240SX scene leads me to believe they treat cars basically the same way (used cars can be found in great condition for not much because the Japanese don't want used cars, and new cars have a higher than usual markup because everybody wants the newest thing on the block).
  15. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The Japanese series Laklands have graphite reinforced necks
  16. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Ia not Japanese Bro', I am from NYC. Still, I have lived in Japan for years. To answer your question, it's a cultural thing. When something gets old, it ends up in the "gomi" pile (garbage) as often as not.