Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Signature Skylines and American made Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 21, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    now that the Skyline Bob Glaub and Joe Osborn are available in the USA i'd like to hear more from you. These are basses more simple and easy to build than the 55 models, no bells and whistle, no active electronics. So i can argue that the difference between the MIA LAkland Glaub and Osborn and their korean Skyline counterparts could be even less than the difference betwee the Lakland 55 and their Skyline version.
    i have never seen a skyline in person and i have never seen a Lakland signature bass. so i'd like to know how the skyline signature bass sound. i'd appreciate a A/B review, a match between the Skyline and the MIA Fender in sound, feel, tone, quality, craftmanship,

Bob Glaub Vs MIA Precision
    Joe Osborn Vs. MIA JAzz

how do they compare? how much are them in the usa? and how much are the Fenders?

thanks a lot

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I did this very thing when I made my last visit to the Lakland shop right before they debuted the Skylines at Winter NAMM. Do a search on the topic or my name to find the thread. It is quite long and detailed, and should give you the exact info you're looking for. Also, if I remember, I also posted similar reviews at bgra.net and harmonycentral.com. Hope that helps, and for what its worth...I'll be heading to Dominic Street to pick mine up next month.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks JPJ i remember your review. i appreciate a lot. i have seen that we have similar taste in music this couls be even more helpful. can you tell me more about the price? are these skkylines priced as MIA fender?
    i actually play a 2000 MIAFender P and a '79 rick 4001. i could add a jazz style bass soon and the Skyline could be an option.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey JPJ, I remember your post & it was very informative!!!!

I haven't played any of the Signature model SkyLines yet. I emailed Dan to see if he was planning to make a 5 string version of the Osborn (Jazz) & he said it should be available in Sept, just in time for my birthday!!!!!! :):D

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Barroso
    According to Dan, the "signature" series of Skyline basses were positioned directly against the Fender USA line, and will be priced accordingly. In fact, there should be less than $100 difference between the two lines, if I remember correctly. The other new thing I just learned about the J.O. is that is will have a trad. V, V, T setup, which I'm excited about, as I already have a '62 Reissue (my #1) with the stacked/concentric knob layout. Outside of the fact that you get Fralin pickups, a satin finish on the back of the neck (as opposed to a heavier gloss finish), great color options...CANDY APPLE RED...great Lakland tone, and outstandign Lakland service, they're pretty close!!!

Nino
    The J.O. 5ers are great and may even cause a die-hard 4-banger like myself to wack away at one of those flobby B strings! Also, not to get the rumour bug started, but around the time of Winter NAMM, Dan was talking about a Skyline versions of the semi-hollowbody and I almost flipped! I've been hounding him to make that happen, but it will definately be after the 5-string Osborne.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I want a 5 string Bob Glaub Skyline. I would buy that in a heartbeat!!!

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    oh my G O D!!!

i was informed about the 5 string version of the JO Skyline. i heard rumors about the 5 string BG, but a Skyline version of the Lakland Hollowbody!!!!!

TOP OF THE LIST for me.
    i want a Skyline JO 5 string in sherwood green
    i want a Skyline Hollowbody in 3 tone sunburst!!!

GO LAkland!