Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 44-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hammer2748, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Just a quickie....what is a Lakland 44-01 worth in fair-to-midland (cosmetically) condition? Missing pot knob, both Strap Hooks gone, tuners tarnished, finish is okay, tone and fell are great......The Bartolini's sound so sweet.

Considering a trade I like the tone so much, like maybe trading my J-Bass or maybe my Spector (Korean)5'er, my only 5'er! Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Okay, I got what I believe is a worthwile value for the Lakland 44-01 used in the condition it's in (approx 350-400).....now the big question for me is this. The Spector is my 1st and only 5'er. I like it, a lot, but for tone, only, the Lakland blows it away hands down. To the point, I'm considering dumping the Spector for it. If you haven't figured it out, money is obviously the issue (none to shell out), and I'm just looking to get the 375 - 400 for the Spector and live without a 5-string, for a while at least. I'm sure I can get this thing out the door for $400, maybe a little less..........

THE SCENARIO: I play mostly in cover bands, various styles.

EQUIPMENT: I play through a G-K 1001RB-II, w/ G-K 115RBH, and a Sunn 2x15 kicker, just a little effect to taste where needed only, mostly dry.

THE QUESTION: In general terms, how badly might I miss the 5-string option. Just fishing for thoughts from those who've made a similar move. It's just the doggone tone of the Lakland is just stuck in my head. Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
    Hammer

3. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hammer - Why don't you look around for used 55-01? It will have the Lakland tone and the B string....best of both worlds.
    Joe

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Point taken, and that has been/is still being considered, but the issue is of course the price of the used 44-01 that I've nailed down for $380 vs. what I can get for the Spector 5. Not likely to find a 55-01 used for $400.00. In fact, the only way I can handle this for now is to do this for what boils down to an even/close exchange.

As for waiting it out.....without the gory details, believe me, I'll be less likely to make a purchase once we hit mid-year as I'll have another mouth to feed in the house.....at that point, another instrument then will be highly unlikely anytime soon enough to help me out towards a 55-01.

I've always heard so many good things about these basses, but never had the opportunity to try one. I gotta tell ya, I'm sold on 'em. Fit, finish, tone...these things really have it nailed. Hey, thanks anyway.

Cheers,
    Hammer