1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline 44-02 tone/pickup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronlitz, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Lakland Skyline 44-02 (Barts), and I've been having fun experimenting with all of the different tones available. I've pretty much concluded that when playing fingerstyle, I like to have the toggle switch set to the front coil of the MM pickup, and the blend pot is set to favor the bridge pickup just slightly. EQ are all at center detent. I anchor my thumb on the front pickup. I have a Fender U.S. jazz bass ('06), and I was curious as to why the Lakland sounds so different. Both basses have rosewood fretboards. The Fender has an alder body, the Lakland an ash body. I've had various pickups in the Fender - including dual-coil Barts - but never had this tone. I measured the pickup positions from the nut of each bass, and discovered something interesting: The Lakland's neck pickup is a little closer to the bridge than the Fender's neck pickup, and the neck half of the Lakland's MM pickup is about 5/8" closer to the neck than the Fender's bridge pickup. 5/8" is a fair amount of distance in pickup placement. I think the different pickup positioning is a large part of the tone difference. IMO, the Lakland beats the jazz, so the poor jazz has been stowed away in it's case lately.
    Anyone else out there with a Jazz and a 44-02, and have you had a similar experience when comparing the two?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I know what you're talking about, man. My 44-02 is just stellar (I replaced the Lakland pickups with SGD's). Definitely outperforms any 'Jazz' out there, and the body is so much more comfortable...and at 7lbs. my 4402 has become my #1. I also have a Spector USA NS-2J which is also awesome, but in a different way. And considering the $2000 price difference, my 44-02 is a true jem.

3. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    $2000 difference??...I thought maybe a $300 difference.:bag:

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    As I wrote in a fairly recent thread:

And my Lakland sounds and feels so different from my Jazz that it's not even worth comparing. Different tools for different jobs.

5. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Missouri
    I have a 55-02 with the LH-3 and my Jazz has not seen the light of day (or neon of night) since I received it. Poor Jazz Bass! The Lakland is FAR SUPERIOR to the Jazz. I do love the quilt top on my Jazz, however!