1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Skyline 44-AJ bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmastan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Can someone give me some incite on them?

1.Are they good basses for a grand?
    2.Would you consider them "swiss army knives"?
    3.Bartolini's or Chi Sonic?
    4.Are the AJ series worth the money?
    5.If you could compare them to any other kind of bass what would it be?
    6.where are the ones not made in the USA made?

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    some details....I have seen both US and Skyline versions

1) YES!
    2) I would say on par with a Sadowsky...more variability than a standard J for sure!
    3) Hanson pickups (just like the typical Skyline JO/44-60 bass....single coil on the Skylines, split coil on the US models...makes the US models a tad quieter - no hum...Bart pre-amp...same pre-map that comes in the 44-01 series...US AJs get the LH3 pre-amp...you CAN upgrade to the LH3 I believe....I also beleive you can upgrade to the CHIs.....but would your house be able to handle the rumble???)
    4) Sadowsky (although NOT as tinny IMHO)
    5) Indonesia....high quality production and quality control

good luck!

3. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Thanks! Anyone else own one of these that can give me an opinion?

4. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    ....not too many owners yet...they are VERY new...

5. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I ordered one in the trans black., idk. I didn't love the cherry, which do you have?

6. BobBMN

BobBMN

Sep 7, 2005
    Picked up a 44-AJ in the trans red from my local Lakland dealer. They always have several Skylines on the wall. I'd actually been eying a used '07 Fender US Active Jazz they had, and when I went to try it out they'd just gotten the 44-AJ in, so I was able to compare them back-to-back. While the quality and playability were similar (both very nice), I thought the sound of the Lakland was far superior to the Fender--stronger, more presence and clarity, if that makes sense. I run the controls centered, but it does have a wide range of sounds. Easy decision to pull the trigger. First gig, I got a hard-to-come-by "bass sounds great" from a very experienced and savvy band leader. I've owned several Skylines and this is by far my favorite. :D

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome... congrats!!!
    pics! pics!! pics!!!

8. Congrats you made the best decision of your life. Come join us in the lakland owners group!!

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    CONGRATS BOB!!!

REALLY glad to hear it!

interesting how an "import" can compare/outclass a US bass......

I agree with Showking, we need pics in the LOG thread and at: wwww.laklandowners.com

10. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Glad you're diggin' it! These are killer basses!

11. BobBMN

BobBMN

Sep 7, 2005
    I was afraid :) you guys would ask me for a pic. Alright, I'll get the camera out tonight. (and then figure out how to post...)

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There's a red one at Premier Bass here in Colorado. Gorgeous finish, feels great in the hands and sounds like a great Jazz bass should. But, this is all based on only 15 minutes of playing.

13. BobBMN

BobBMN

Sep 7, 2005
    Here's mine (if my posting attempt works).

Disclaimer: my lame photo skills don't do this bass justice. Much nicer than this photo might suggest.

DSCN0043-1-1.

14. emart

emart Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I'm very happy with my 55-AJ in trans red and its probably the best thing I've seen for around 1K, and even somewhat more. The nut width and neck profile are ideal for my hand, the B string is great, and the tone is great. It really cuts through in a band mix and I've also received compliments.

The fit/finish on mine is good to very good, but its not exceptional, but then I didn't expect that on a bass at this price point. If I have one complaint its that the electronics are a little noisy for my preference, and I'm having the cavity shielded and a Sadowsky preamp/VTC installed next week. It will be interesting to see what difference the new preamp makes.

I wouldn't call this a traditional sound J bass, but more along the lines of a Sadowsky.

Highly recommended.

15. Let us know how the new pre sounds. I'm considering gettig a Skyline AJ, however not so sure about the Bart pre and possibly noisey pickups. The electronics on the US version does look like it'll be a lot better but out of my price range.

16. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I have thought about buying a 55AJ and installing a sad pre. Let me know how it turns out.

17. slappadebass

slappadebass

Jan 11, 2014
    I got my 44 AJ Skyline a month ago, and I love it! I had the chance to compare it with a lot of great bases and it was really versatile, powerful and it had a nice, clean tone.
    Only one problem, sometimes i have a big problem with the high frequencies, when slapping for example. i tried cutting them completely from my amp and the PA system in which it's connected, and tried dialing down the treble nob on the bass as much as possible without destroying the tone... it's helpful, but not as much as I'd like. Maybe it's the bass head, I use a GK 1001rb which is a very bright amp as well.
    Also when I am slapping sometimes the sound doesn't come out as loud and clear. Finger playing and picking is a lot louder. ofcourse i can boost up the midrange on the bass and blow everyone within 3 metres from me away ( which I do, it's a lot of fun ), but anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else has these problems or it's me who is the ******? :)
    thanks a lot