1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline 4401 initial impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I was in a local chain music store last night looking for the latest vintage modified offering from squier (not there) and saw a Lakland Skyline 4401. It was the first lakland I had played.

I was pressed for time, so I didnt run it through its paces, so to speak, but played it for 4 or 5 minutes nonetheless.

Initial impression- YIKES this thing is nice! great action wihtout having to be super low, no buzzing, very even volume level from lower to higher frets. great ergonomics, and beautiful finish.

There seemed to be a zillion tonal possibilties, and this is where I spent the least time. WHAT is the function of all of the knobs? I didnt figure it out.

I am generally not overimpressed by the offerings at the chain stores. I try a lot of basses since I pass two such stores en route to rehearsal every week and I generally find most of the fender/squier/schecter/musicman offerings on the racks adequate to pretty nice. My reference standard is my KSD protoJ and american deluxe P bass. It is a rare case indeed that I play something that I find superior in tone, fit, style, and overall "playability" to either of these basses. comparable sure, but superior, no.

BUT, I think the Lakland Skyline I played last night (listed at $750) bests my reference basses in terms of feel and action/playability. I'd have to mess with the tone controls some more, but it seemed very responsive and promising.

This was a REALLY nice bass. Admittedly I dont play boutique basses (ever) like many of you. Is this about typical for Skylines or Laklands or, based on my comparison, o you think I grabbed a gem?

What the heck do the control knobs do?

Nice bass!

2. Blankmann44

Blankmann44

Sep 23, 2007
    One knob is volume, one for pickup blend, one for highs, one for lows, one for mids

3. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had a similar experience last week. The 4401 I tried just oozed quality. It sounded way better than I expected. Alot of people upgrade theirs and I don't understand why. Sometimes I think the fact that the electronics are made oversees somehow gives the impression that they are not that good. I have a friend that just raves about his 5501. Amazing bass for sure.

4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    The MK1 electronics are good.

It's pretty easy to swap them for great electronics...

5. i love laklands electonics, its an active 3 tone eq, pup blend, and master vol. The master vol also pulls out to go into passive mode, which i love. i would try out a 44-02, its just a little sweeter in every way.