Lakland Skyline 55-01..5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biffin's Bridge, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Yes - you English idiot..isn't it obvious.

19 vote(s)
  2. No - It's rubbish just like the US soccer team who were lucky against the Portuguese

1 vote(s)
  3. I don't really care

0 vote(s)
  1. Save me a trip to London....

At $700US on Musician's Friend..this sounds a fantastic deal on what looks like a high quality bass. To save me driving 2 hours to found out it's a pile of agricultural waste material, does anyone have an opinion...It costs £1000 here!!

Best Wishes

2. While you're there, play the 55-02 also :D
  3. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i tried it out. i liked it very much. very high quality bass.
    just like the US soccer team.
    hey, things change... if Korea can make great basses, the US team can become legit.
    deal with it!
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a 55-01 a couple of months ago, and it has become the favorite of my 8 basses. An excellent bass at an amazing price. It is easily the same quality as basses costing twice as much.
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    from what ive heard the 55-02 is worth the extra money over the 55-01.. but that both are very nice basses.
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This may be true, but still the 55-01 is a great sounding instrument. I prefer the 2 soapbar pickups to the MM/J configuration of the 55-02 - they are more generic (and thus more versatile) than the MM/J IMO, because the MM/J has it's own distinctive sound. And while it is true that the American made Bart preamp in the 55-02 is better, it doesn't mean the Korean Bart preamp in the 55-01 is bad, quite the contrary. In fact I have another bass (Tobias Toby Pro) with an American Bart preamp, and the Lakland with the Korean preamp sounds better - proving that woods, construction, etc. all have a bigger impact than the difference between the two preamps. To sum it up, if you can afford the 55-02 and like that p/u configuration, get it. But if you don't, the 55-01 is a great sounding bass.
  7. I am buying one right now. Have it on hold. Check out its big brother and it's Daddy and they are all great basses.
  8. I just bought one a couple of days ago and they are excellent basses for $700.00 brand spanking new! Get one before the price go up. I'm pretty sure thay are not going to stay at that price very long.

I have the one that's just like Nino Browns.
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Of you order form Musician's Friend & ship it to the UK, don't you have to pay high shipping & Custom Taxex (VAT?) or sonthing like that?
  10. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a 55-01, with the upgraded preamp.... the original preamp is good, but the upgrade kicks bootie! My 55-01 became my favorite bass as soon as I got it home.....

11. How does the neck feel? is it wide like the Fender Jazz or is super nice like the MTD kingston 5? I am thinking of getting the Lakland 55-01 or the MTD K-5 ???/
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As a preface I should mention that I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe. The bass that I owned played and sounded great. The workmanship and finish was excellent as well. It didn't quite have the tone that I was looking for so I sold it. Still, I maintain the Laklands are great basses.

I tried a 55-01 recently and I was surprised at the sound and quality of the bass, given the budget price that you can get it at. It was very easy to play and sounded great. Other posts in other threads in this forum have gone into detail on the tone difference relative to the 55-94 (slightly harsh or brittle high end). I'll let you do a search for those. But still, for the price, the 55-01 is a great bass. Just be sure that you try one out before buying and make sure it has the tone that you're looking for.
  13. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    55-01s are fantastic for $700, also the deluxe quilted top version is good for $500 :p

Hey fetch da bass- cool icon, that's the very bass I play.
  14. I'm eyeing to build up enough cash to buy one, but I'm weighing it or going for a MIM P-Bass to play the foil to my Jazz bass. Can I get a P-Bass-ish sound from the 55-01?
  15. I just ordered one from musicians friend. Should be here Wednesday.