Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55-01 or Spector Rebop DLX 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Dec 16, 2005.

1. :hyper: Happy holidays and merry christmas everyone. :D

This may be an apples and oranges kind of comparison but I've been waiting on the skyline 55-01 since September as they are continously on backorder. I found out today the delivery date has been pushed back to 1-31-06. In the meantime I had a chance to see the Rebop deluxe 5 and really liked it. What do you all think of the two compared to each other as far as tone, reliability, versatility, fit/finish, etc. I currently own an MIA Fender P-bass that I'm thinking of selling in order to buy a 5'er. If you could only own 1 bass, which of these would fit more situations? I understand there will be tonal differences as the pups are different and the rebop is more expensive, but without any restriction based on the "type" of music played or price, which would you choose?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the rebop deluxe better. I really like spectors bolt on basses, and the deluxes are a lot nicer than the older rebops. If you like an aggressive tone i would get the rebop. If you want something a little more, normal, id get the Lakland. Im personally not a big 55-01 fan, i think teh B strings on the rebops are nicer.

If you like an aggressive tone but find the EMGHZs to be not what you are into (they are great pickups though) id put some different EMGs in there, and maybe swap the preamp.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I like the Rebop Deluxe but I'd have to go with the Lakland. I'd also recommend getting a used one and swapping out the preamp over buying one new.

Caveat: I've only played other peoples' Spectors but I've owned a 55-01.

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    IMHO get the Spector Rebop. More of a clear flat tone; great to my ear and the B is very focused. The lakland IMHO is far more of a jack of all trades. If I was more into blues or rock the Lakland would be on the top of my list. I am just stuck in a metal rut and like the clarity that a Spector can deliver. I will say that both companys have GREAT customer service and if possible play both side by side. Really you cant lose...it just dependes what your ears are telling you.

5. :bawl: bump