Lakland Skyline 55-01 vs. 55-01 NTMB vs. 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Mar 21, 2004.

1. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    OK, I'm looking to go back to a meat-and-potatoes 5-string from a Peavey Cirrus 6 and am very interested in exploring the Lakand skyline route. As soon as I'm able to, I'll be going to my local dealer to try out some basses. In the meantime, can you all provide some specific input/feedback/opinions on the 55-01 versus the 55-01 NTMB versus the 55-02?

I've heard a lot of people say they prefer the 55-01 to the 55-02, but there's been very little explanation of why that is, and there's usually no mention of the 55-01 upgrade. I guess what I'm after are specifics in terms of tonal strengths, weaknesses, limitations, differentiations, etc. What do these three basses actually sound like, on their own and in comparison to one another? Sound clips would be cool if anyone has the wherewithal to post them!

Thanks in advance -- I need to get my mind off this so I can concentrate on other things!
  2. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
  3. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmmm ... Actually, I did do a search and have been poking around about this for a while. I felt like there was a lot of opinion stated, but I didn't find enough of the kind of concrete details and explanations I'm looking/hoping for. I definitely didn't find any clips posted for comparison's sake, which would be very useful in my opinion.

Anyway, I'll check out those threads (again?) and see what I may have missed, but I'd still like to hear from anyone who feels so inclined. I guess I'm not interested in hearing about which option is "better" than the rest so much as I'm interested in hearing WHY people think it's "better" than the rest...
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bump. I too would like to hear some specific comments as requested by Lushfreak. Tampablue's posted searches in this thread don't seem to be working right now, and I've done the searches.

The reason that I'd like to hear more comments is that I'm looking at ordering a 55-01 w/ NTMB preamp. I've been told by people who are familiar with all the Lakland models that...

the Bart MK1 pick ups in the 01s are inherently more aggressive sounding than Barts in the 02.

the 02 sounds very much like a 55-94. the tonal character of the 02 has been described by a number of bassists as being "polite" when compared to the 01.

Many comments indicate that the 01 sounds closer to a Jazz Bass tone
    (w/ single coils) than the 02.

The NTMB preamp upgrade on a 01 will improve its tonal capabilties and overall sound quality.

People with experience playing these basses....
    agree or disagree with these comments? :help: thanks!
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I have a 55-01, and somehow managed to fry the original preamp, so I have an NTMB on order to replace it. I should be able to tell you in a while how much difference the upgraded preamp makes.

But yes, my impression for the Laklands and Skylines I've played is that the 55-01 is a bit mroe aggressive than the 55-02/55-92.

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  7. I have played a 55-01 and a 55-02, I can say that the 55-01 does have a little more bite to its tone compared to the 55-02 which has a more rounded tone. you could say the 55-01 has a more growl/high end attack to it than the 55-02. I have not played the 55-01 with the NTMB preamp, I would imagine that with the preamp it would allow you to round off the tone a little.

I like the 55-02 more and think it is worth the extra money; in my opinion. they are both very solid basses though.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That link that gfab hooked us up with is GREAT.... Mike, I'm really interesting in hearing your thoughts, on your unintentional pre upgrade... I've been considering this one myself, but enjoy my 55-01 as it is...