Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55-02: Bartolini vs. Seymour Duncan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javy, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I'm considering buying a Skyline 55-02 and I'm not sure whether I should pay the extra $100 for the optional Seymour Duncan Basslines. Unfortunately, there's no place around here where I can find Laklands to compare the two types of pickups. The description of the Basslines that I read at Lakland's website sounds attractive, but I also read the part that said you can EQ either brand of pickup to sound very close to the other. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with these two brands of pickups, especially if you're familiar with them in Lakland basses.

Javy

2. KB (thebillion) is a talkbasser who has had both in his 44-02, he'd be a good guy to ask.

3. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Hey Javy, I can't help you with the Basslines, but I have a 55-02 with the Bart's and it has a killer tone. Very rich and warm texture with huge balls. With the pickup config, I can get any sound I want from it. I just did a recording session and the producer was very impressed with the bass. I'm very pro-Bartolini. three of my basses are loaded with then.:)

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes I had both in my 4402. The Basslines were definately more aggressive. with my maple fretboard and the ash body , they were very bright (too bright for my tastes), but they did also have a very wide EQ (lower/stronger lows and more pronounced highs) than the barts. The Barts were more quiet (hum-wise) and had a very bart sound of rich mids, but seemed to lack some of the lows I like.
    It may depend on the type of music you play and the sound you are going for. Barts are more controlled, but do have more pronounced clean mids and do punch through the mix well, but miss some of the lows and the Basslines have more lows but also a lot of highs and not as much mids.

I ended up not really liking either one, thus I sold my Lakland (great bass with great construction and good sound if that is what you want, just the sounds were not my thing).

The differences between the two were not huge, but they were noticeable.

I hope this helps

-KB

5. I have a 5502 with Barts and it is the best sounding bass I've ever played. I played a SR5 for years and love it but always thought it lacked something. The 5502 has that something. The Barts can sound as smooth as an old Jazz bass or as aggressive as a Sting Ray and anything in between.

6. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    GreyBeard, your description makes the 55-02 sound very versatile. If I could go from a smooth Jazz sound to a raunchy Sting Ray sound, I'd be happy. Does your 55-02 have a maple or rosewood neck? A lot of people say that makes quite a difference, but I can't help thinking that the type of pickups, preamp, and strings makes a MUCH greater difference than the fingerboard wood ever could.