Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 30, 2005.

1. I'm looknig into this bass as a fretless. Now. I've heard they are very punchy and warm, but I know little else about them. Also, The Bass Gallery seems the only place in England that stocks em, and they charge over £1200. Does anyone know a cheaper alternative?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The 55-02 is the cheaper alternative to the 55-94; so you're talking about a cheaper cheap version of a great bass.

Just thought I'd add that.

In my opinion, no, that bass isn't matched by anything in its price class.

3. Ahh sorry, when I said 'cehaper alternative' I meant another shop, noit another bass. Toasted calculated everything for me, and it'll come out at £905 if I order it from America, an pay all the taxes, shipping etc.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ahh ya, ok cool. I live in USA so you might try thedudepit.com to see what kind of a deal he could give you.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Nick, please play one before ordering.
    Given the sounds you like, I'm not entirely sure if you'll like the bart equipped 55-02. The bart pups are a bit high end shy, nothing wrong with that - it just might not be what you're after.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice.

You might look for a 55-01 fretless. They are more modern and bright sounding than the 55-02.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought my Deluxe 55-02 from the Bass Centre in London - I talked them down to £1100 plus a Comfort Strapp, two sets of strings and a few other bits and pieces I wanted. :)

They will also do credit - I've bought several basses from them on interest-free credit - take it out under your arm and pay later!! :)

8. That sounds good. I'm definetly gonna give one a whirl before buying. Over what time period can you pay it off?

9. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Can you get the Singray fretless sound and the jaco sound on a fretless Lakland ?

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    :confused: But he said "punchy and warm". That's how I'd describe the barts. I'm assuming you're contrasting those to the Seymour Duncans as an option, which are supposed to be a lot hotter and maybe brighter at the high end (tho I've never played a Lakland equip'd with'em). IMHO, I love the even tone of the barts.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As I said before, I never said there was anything wrong with the Barts.
    But given Nicks' liking for the Spector and Warwick sounds, I was making him aware that the Lakland sound may be more of a contrast than he is expecting and that therefore he would be wise to try before buying. I make this recommendation based on my experience with all three brands, and the various brands of pickups used in each.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I got that, and didn't mean to imply that's what you were saying.

Ok, this is what I was missing. All I had to go on is what I saw in his original post.

FWIW, I was really just curious about your post... didn't mean to sound critical. :)

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem, just wanted to make clear where I was coming from

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And that is precisely the reason that I agreed with you.