Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55-02 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeeZee, Feb 1, 2004.

1. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    I have read two reviews on the 55-02 that the reviewers said the B and the E strings were somewhat louder than the other strings. Has anyone else noticed this with their 55-02's? If so, has a pickup height adjustment or other change (eq, string, cabinet, etc.) fix the "problem"? Actually I would think with a rig like I use, a strong E and especially B string would be good. I use an Ampeg V4bh (100watt all tube) and the SVT-15e and SVT210he (both classic enclosures). This head and cabinet combinations don't have a very good frequency response down low where the low B and low C frequencies are. My current 5 string does sound a little weak on any of the notes below E which I mainly contribute to the lack of freq response of my amp/enclosures. These notes are well balanced in the headphone coming off the mixer (the headphones do go down to 20 Hz). I currently use an Ibanez btb405qm and have been having some inconsistency problems with its volume and tone. I actually like its pickups but will probably be upgrading its preamp. I am planning on using it as a backup bass and as of now a 55-02 is on order. Just thought I would check on this E and B string being louder thing while I am waiting,...Thanks

2. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I have the same issues with my 55-02, however, the strings have always been the issue. Example... I put DR Highbeans on and the B and E are "loud". I put new DR's on last month and now A is "loud" and E and B are dull sounding.

I play through a Fender Bassman 200. I have not adjusted the pickups since I bought it. I also sent mine back to Lakland last month so they could redo the electronics (warranty). While it was there it was professionally setup to their specs.

So from my view point it is a DR issue not a Lakland issue.

I upgraded from an Ibanez BTB515 to the Lakland 55-02. I am glad I did!!! The Lakland is so much more "warmer" sounding. It plays better. It is just a better bass.

my 2 cents

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would agree with Heavy_E on this one... I doubt that it is anything specific with the bass, only differences in strings. I have three laklands, and haven't noticed anything of the sort that a change of strings didn't solve.

P@

:bassist:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-01 has the same problem, and so does the 55-94(at least the ones that I have played in shops), to a lesser extent. I think that it is a combination of the taut B and E string, and the pickups. The reason the 55-94 does not exhibit the problem as severely as the 55-02(they have the same electronics) could be the graphite reinforced neck.

On my wife's 55-01, lowering the pickups on the bass side helped the problem a lot, but did not remedy it completely.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My 44-02 doesn't have this problem.

6. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    I can see the 44-02 not having this problem,...most 4 strings I have had didn't vary too much in volume from string to string,.....It's just been recently since moving to a 5 string bass (and reading about other 5 strings), that I have been dealing with this volume issue,.....My Ibanez btb405qm had major volume issues when I first got it. The E and the A strings were quite a bit louder than the B, D and G strings. Also the overall volume output of the bass itself was dissappointingly low,....My Fender MIA P-bass had just about double the volume which is not saying much for the Ibanez since the Fender is a passive bass and the Ibanez is 18 volts active. BUT!!!! after adjusting the Ibanez's trus rod and taking out almost all the bow and lowering all the strings to match the contour of the fretboard, the problem cleared up (both string volume balance and overall volume of bass). The Ibanez still only has about the same overall volume as my P-bass though. I did not change brands of strings. I may be the minority with this one, but I happen to like the Elixer strings that came on the bass and have since been using them when they need to be replaced. I also adjusted the pickup heights to get the hottest signal I could without getting them too close to where the tone starts to get distorted. The string to string volume definately is good now since the setup changes. I was surprised that the setup changes I made effected things to the degree they did,...but anyway,.......In (20Hz to 20kHz) headphones off the mixer board, the bass string volumes sound equal. They also sound amazingly equal when I play through the 15ish year old Fender BXR100 combo amp at church. Playing through my Ampeg V4BH, SVT-15e, and SVT210he rig with my other band gives me a B string that is probably about 20 percent weaker than the other strings which are very even. None of this is really surprising to me given the differences between the frequency responses of these different amps/amplified settings. The mixer signal is pure DI straight from the bass, the BXR100 is solid state (not really sure of its freq response) and the V4BH head is all tube with frequency response about as lo fi as the classic cabinets,...Great tone though!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would suspect this is the problem - I have never had any problems with my 55-02 - but I put a set of Slowounds on as soon as I got it home and these sound perfect!! :)

8. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've had two 55-02's and used DR's and have not experienced any problems that’s referenced here.