Lakland Skyline 55-02 Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeMess, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a 55-02, but I was wondering what the typical used range of prices are for these basses. I don't want a dead mint one (although I'd take it if I didn't have to pay too much for it).

Also, is the NTMB preamp standard in these basses or is it just the upgraded one that is in all the US 55 series basses? If it's different than what's the difference?
  2. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    55-02's come standard with usa made bartolini electronics(that's preamp and pickups) while the 55-01 comes with barts but they are korean made. If you were to put a 55-01 with NTMB and a 55-02 side by side the only difference visually would be that the 55-01 has soapbars and the 55-02 has a dual coil humbucker and a j neck pickup. Sonically, they are similar but its really a question of versatility. The 55-01 has a distinctive tone, suitable for rock, not so great for jazz. The 55-02 has more versatility. Being the proud owner of a new 55-02D i can tell you that it is indeed very versatile. I can dial in most any tone, from a walking bass tone with an agressive overtone, to a marcus miller slap tone. And the B string kicks. Mine is a bit floppy in feel(low tension) but the sound is focused and the interval does not waver. (On my old bass if i tried to tune up the B string the needle would wave back and forth)
    for a used 55-02 you are looking at about 1000 USD +- about a thousand. But there are deals out there. Don't be swayed by the list prices on My 55-02 lists for 1800 and it cost me 1275+tax.
    I'd say if you want to make a decision on one of these basses, you should play both.
    Good luck