Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline: 55-02 vs 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gazman_res, Dec 20, 2004.

55-01 vs 55-02

Poll closed Dec 27, 2004.
  1. 55-01

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. 55-02

51 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. Okay, i know this has been done way too many times, but after searching over and over again i couldnt come up with the answers i seek.

So here's the comparison im really after:
    55-02 in single coil mode vs the normal 55-01.

Thoughts?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I voted for the 55-01. Unless the 55-02 has the optional Basslines setup.

I like an aggressive tone, and the 55-02 is too 'polite' for me. My 55-01 can be polite, but when I need it to get nasty, it does that very well too!

3. Embellisher, would you say this is true in your opinion?

55-02 (SD) > 55-01 (Stock) > 55-02 (Barts)

Cheeers!

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had both and for me there was no contest. 55-02 all the way. Both great basses and well made but the 55-02 with stock Barts is the best band for your buck on the market IMHO.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's the way I see it.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own two Lakland 55-02's. I was at one point thinking about getting the Duncan's installed in one of them. He actually advised me not to do it, although he ultimately said that he wanted to make me happy. Dan Lakin told me that the satisfaction rate for people with the Barts is much higher than the Duncans, he said that's why they use the Barts as the standard on the 55-02. I might still do it at one point just to be able to hear what it sounds like.

I couldn't only find this e-mail from him.
    "--- Dan Lakin <dlakin@lakincorp.com> wrote:
    Hi Steve - We can install the Duncan for $250. If
    I keep your used Barts it will be $150. You can probably do it yourself if you want to (knock off $50 from the price.) You have to change out the pan pot and vol pot as well.
    Thanks,
    Dan

PS - We are currently out of stock. I expect more
    in with 4 weeks.

PSS - Customer satisfaction is much much higher
    with the Barts."

Oh and I forgot the most important part. I'd vote for the 55-02, however, I still think the 55-01 is an AWESOME bass especially for the price.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I agree... But, everyone here is going to say 02, just because its the same pup/pre-amp config as whats in the USA Laklands. BUT, here's the thing, before I bought my 01, I spoke w/ Dan Lakin, & feels the MAJOR difference in sound has more to do with the pre-amp, than it does the pups.

When I bought mine, I had a set budget, but wanted a deluxe finish... So, I bought an 01, with the mindset that was going to swap out the pre some day, for an NTMB. I'll tell you, the original pre is still in my 01.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had a 55-02 with the USA Barts and it was great.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I first bought a 55-01 (standard) and I sent it back within days. I couldn't find a tone that I liked in this bass. After reading up on the 55-02, I decided to give a Lakland another chance and ordered one. The 55-02 Deluxe I have is one of the most awesome basses I have owned, period! Of course, this is my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree. I also have a recently purchased Skyline JO5 that I am not going to keep. It's just doesn't have the sound that I want in a bass.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll plug it in this afternoon and post an initial review, and I'm sure I'll love it just based on all the comments I've read by folks I respect, but I really wanted the USA 55-94 sound, so I got the 02... plus I kinda' really like that look and the added versatility of that pickup/preamp arrangement.

"I don' think so, scooter." - Ron White

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow. I had to change my shorts 3 times in the first 10 minutes of playing my new 55-02 through my amp. It sounded good unplugged, so I was anticipating this, but still VERY pleasantly surprised.

It's a veritable smorgasbord of tonal delights, each of which leaving you wiping your mouth and wanting more. The overall sound is both heavy and full as well as very clear and precise. Now I know why I see so many people playing these things.

Keep in mind I bought this thing totally blind. I've never touched any kind of Lakland ever before.

Whomever said the slap tone wasn't that great on these must be spendin' too much time at the "coffee shops" in Amsterdam with a huka tube hangin' out of their mouth. It's killer.

I'd say there's one tone this bass has a little trouble with, which is that "biting bridge tone" like a Jazz or similar (Roscoe, Zon, etc..). You know what I mean. It's that MM pickup. As versatile and great sounding as it is, and even though it is in the "sweet spot" it's still just different. However, it's got at least 2 awesome sounding alternatives which will be a blast to bring into the band mix as we start to fire up for the new year in a week or two. I can't wait.

I messed with the midpoint switch, but decided to put it back to the default of 500Hz. That seems best right now.

Bottom line: This thing KILLS! I couldn't put it down for a long time.

Dave and Joel at the Groove Shoppe totally hooked me up on this bad boy. Thanks guys! :)

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That particular 55-02 is one of the nicest ones I've seen too! I was eye balling it on The Groove Shoppe website. Didn't surprise me that it moved so fast. Looks like you got an extra special one if you ask me! Congrats and Merry Christmas!

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, Dave and Joel say they "hand pick" their basses, and had actually sent back some because they didn't have "the vibe", so I'd venture to guess you're more right than you know. I'm sure they're all great, but this one is really awesome.

I should also mention that another reason this thing moved this fast is because they really hooked me up with a great price. I could not be any happier with my (first) buying experience with those guys. FYI. :)

14. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Just got my 55-02D. It sounds terrific and feels great. A wonderful instrument. Like Vics - I couldn't put it down.

BTW - I have a cherry sunburst 55-01 with maple neck for sale. Great condition. PM me for pics and details!

Eggman

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm sorta' in Jeff's camp on this in that I think the Duncan equipped Laklands are highly under-rated. I love my 55-94 with the Barts (and I prefer Barts in general), but I am equally passionate about my Duncan equipped 55-94.

Bart Lakland: Swamp ash body, clear finish, maple board.

Duncan Lakie: Painted alder(?) body, rosewood board.

The Bart bass has a rounder tone in general, not quite as sparkly and growly, it kills through my Mesa 400+. Mids are set at 700, highs at 7 (of 10), mids at 4, bass at 5. My preferred pickup setting is at the neck PUP on the Stingray (bridge) PUP. It slightly overwhelmed my Eden rig (too bassy).

The Duncan bass has a less polite nature despite the alder body and rosewood board, but it can be tamed very nicely. The highs and growl are much more intense. It sounds great on the Eden rig in a Classic Rock/Top 40 setting. The mid switch is also at 700, treble at 3, mids at 2, bass at 6, I like it best with a 50/50 neck/bridge PUP, bridge at neck. The growl really responds to a slight bass adjustment which is odd since I usually deal with growl by use of the mid knob on other basses.

Congratulations on a lovely bass. Welcome to the Land of Lakland!

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    INTERESTING. I noticed this too, but through my GK it sounded much more even-toned. I haven't tried it through my EBS yet, but I expect that to be pretty bassy, too.

Hmmm, maybe I'll set my mids to 700 also. By "4" to you mean just below the detent or just barely "cut"? (assuming "5" is midpoint)

Also, I noticed when panned all the way to the MM pickup, with the switch in the middle (MM coils "blended"), and add just a touch of bass, it has an AWESOME "shimmering" scoop/funk tone with a nice crisp edge that just sounded delectable throug a GK and a pair of 10's. Almost "Smithy" in a way.

Oh, man, you have no idea how happy I am with this thing. I told TGS that the only way this bass would leave is to be traded in on a USA... MAYBE... :)

I can not wait to get this in the band and hear what kind of band mix voice it has.