1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Skyline 55-02 vs Fender American Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwitzend, Feb 21, 2018.

1. jwitzend

jwitzend

Sep 21, 2013
    Bismarck, ND
    Looking to add a 5 string and having a tough time deciding between these 2. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. mariusx1

mariusx1

Nov 23, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Lakland all the way. No contest, in my opinion. I've got an upgraded 55-01 and love it. I've played several Fender Jazz V's in stores and have disliked every single one. They just seem too bulky whereas the Lakland neck is incredibly smooth and easy to play. Playability wise, I'd choose the Lakland all day. If you're after the Fender Jazz sound though, that may not be your answer.

jwitzend likes this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    +1 for any Lakland 5 string.

They hit the ground running with those basses.

jwitzend likes this.
  4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    FYI, the Lakland is 35" scale, the Fender is 34". Also, a closer comparison would be a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 because then you'd be comparing active to active. I've owned both. Both are great. But I digress.

GregC and jwitzend like this.
  5. I have owned both in the last year and can say that the quality of both was the same. Fender has stepped up in a huge way lately and Lakland has a damn good reputation in this area. I prefer the Fender personally. Smaller neck, 34 scale, classic tone. Got mine from Sweetwater. It was flawless in every way, great set up, great player. The Lakland has a better B, but that 35 scale is a bear for me. The Lakland is a little less expensive too, but I feel my Fender was a great choice nonetheless.

jwitzend likes this.