Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland skyline 55-02 vs. peavey cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmny79, Aug 23, 2003.

1. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hello I'm new to this forum and I was wondering what bass you considered to be the better bass. Lakland skyline 55-02 or the peavey cirrus. Right now I'm leaning toward the cirrus but I was looking for advice either way. Thanks for your help.

2. I suggest Cirrus...Actually a guy in the classifieds is selling one for real cheap.

I love Cirrus...

3. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks for replying. There's actually a guy in my town that's selling one for $900 so I think I'm going to jump on that

4. Good luck man,I love the feel of these bad boys:)

5. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    dmny,
    I owned a 55-02 for a couple of months. The craftsmanship was excellent, it played great, and had a good sound. I used it a few times at gigs and it just didn't cut through the mix like my other basses. It's definetly one of the best deals for the money though.
    I've never owned a Cirrus but I do repair work at a store that stocked them. I'm not a Peavey fan but I'll have to admit that they look and play great. The craftsmanship is typically above average. If there's one thing that I wished that Peavey had done different it would be in the area of the electronics and P/U's. If they had installed Bartolini P/U's and pre I'd probably own one. Or if they had just used popular OEM P/U dimensions it would have been better (I have read threads where TB players have installed Bart's in their Cirrus. Not sure if they are exact replacement sizes). I actually played one yesterday and was very impressed with the pallet of tones and it played as good as my Roscoes. It had a very nice hi-fi sound.
    All that being said, if the price is the same, I'd go with the Cirrus. Just my 2 cents worth!

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Lakland 55-02 all the way.......

(... I don´t like peavey stuff :meh: )

7. I play a cirrus five and all I can say is wow
    What model are you looking at?
    Be aware that there are different wood combinations that affet the sound of the bass
    Im not familar with the lakland so I cant say the peavey is better
    What I can say is throw all the hype about how peavey make poor products out the window when it comes to the cirrus.
    Peavey might make some real S!!T when it come to there gear.....but not this bass and it comes with a real nice moulded case new, I dont know if your getting that with it?
    What amp are you using?
    Check my post on the cirrus or email me if that helps

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't particularly care for Ibanez or Hartke but I don't write off those brands simply because of the names. ;)

Bartolini? We don't need no stinkin' Bartolini electronics! :D Seriously though, I'm happy with the performance of my Cirrus 5 but I'm a Bartolini lover also. No mods are in the works for my Cirrus.

Better for what? That question might be decided by what type of tone you're looking for. Modern or something more vintage sounding?

I've never had the pleasure of trying the 55-02 but I do own a couple of the Poor Man's Laklands (Peavey Millennium Plus)with pickup configurations the same as the 55-02. From a brief exposure that I had with a 55-94, I found that there were some similarites in the sound of each. To me the Millennium has more of a Fender-like tone by default and I would have to assume the same regarding the 55-02. I am more attached to my Cirrus than either of my Millenniums. ;)

9. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    I was planning on buying a max 700 head and pro 410 cabinet. I'm a peavey fan all the way!! However both basses seem to be very versatile. thank you for the reply.

10. I use the firebass 700 (exact same head but two years old, pretty much same specs) and a mesa powerhouse 1000.
    I was having some volume problems but the fine folks here helped me out with the EQ a lot.
    NO PROBLEMS NOW
    If you are looking at the peavey 410 make sure you get the four ohm version.
    You will get more power from the head 475 @ 4ohms compared to 275 @ 8ohms
    All in all if you like the sound (most important) go for it.
    You can always add a 15 later to get all 700 watts out of the head
    Happy shopping
    (I too am a peavey guy)
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks Moma Jones for the reply. I played through a Firebass and 410 tvx at our local music store but couldn't turn it up too much. By the way can you or anyone explain to me how adding cabs. give you higher volume when the wattage is split between more speakers.

12. Adding cabs lowers the load (impedence) givin to the amp. Most amp usally produce more power at lower impedence.
    But you have to be careful on what your amp minimum load is.
    The maxx 700 will go down to 2 ohms. Two 4 ohm cabs = 2 ohm load
    There are lots of posts on how this works if you use the searce feature.
    And Im not sure but more speaker surface area add volume as well.
    Something to do with inverse square law (somebody please correct me if Im wrong I would hate to give incorrect info) says that doubling the power gives 3 more db from the source and adding another cab should also give 3 db because of acoustic coupling between speaker.

13. I have a lakland 55-02 and am getting a Cirrus here pretty soon. the lakland is a great bass, good tone lots of options and works well with just about anything. you can dial in some great tones. the Peavey is much more of a Hi-Fi sounding and feeling bass, I have been wanting something with a real modern look and fell that had a cool wood top so the peavey fit that bill well. if you want a more classic bass growl sound go with the Lakland, if you want more modern and exotic wood vibes go with the peavey, or be like me and get both. eather would be a sweet bass that would serve you well at any gig.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-02 is a great bass for the price, lots of tonal variety, and good crafstmanship for a Korean bass.

The Cirrus is American made, mine has outstanding craftsmanship and as much tonal variety as anything I have ever played.

If you prefer Fender type tones, the Lakland may be your best bet. It can get more modern sounding tones, but it excels at the Fender vibe.

If you want more variety, and prefer a more modern vibe, the Cirrus is the one. My Cirrus has the best slap tone of any bass that I have ever played. It can also cut through loud guitars in a heavy rock band. But it can also get a refined enough tone to play jazz. It can do the Fender thing too, but not as well as the Lakland does.

The one thing that some people are overlooking is the feel. The neck on the 55-02 is pretty thick, somewhere between a P bass and a Jazz bass. The Cirrus neck has a much thinner profile, which for me is more comfortable.

My Lakland 55-01 starts to fatigue my left hand after a while. I can play my Cirrus 6 for hours, with no discomfort at all. Wider neck, one more string, but easier to play.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Interesting matcu-up considering the two basses.

Even though I'm not really biased either way in spite of the fact I own a 55-02, I am suspicious of the problems that Cirrus owners have reported quite often.

Skyline 55-02 owners have never reported such problems. Maybe it's because Peavey used "risky" woods on the Cirruses (e.g, not aired, etc).

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All I can say is,, I'm TOTALLY GAS'ing for a 55-02, but will likely only get a 55-01 into the budget.

The first bass I ever bought was a Peavey t-40. A great first purchase. It was nice enough, but there's something about owning an instrument,,, it's gotta impress you,,, its gotta own you,,, I've never felt that way about a Peavey. Some how the name Peavey, ya know? I'm sure some Cirrus lovers are going to have fun at my expense, & that's fine.

Think of it in car terms, I'm GAS'ing for an Infiniti G35 Coupe, not a Hyundai Tiburon.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd say that the Cirrus is definitely more like an Infiniti than a Hyundai. Ask any of the guys that own them. ;)

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The Peavey is a great bass. I've never played the Lakland before, but as far as the Peavey goes.... just go for it man :)

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You seriously need to play a Cirrus, man.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Apparently, I do...