Lakland Skyline 55-02 with Basslines pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Anyone got/tried one of these? Does it get closer to the MM tone than the Bartolini-equipped version?

VERY close to ordering one right now... :)

Russ :bassist:
  2. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I put Duncans in my 55-94 for just that reason, trying to get the MM tone. I much prefer them to the original Barts and they are definitely closer to the MM tone, but it doesn't sound like a stingray to me. (I don't own a 'ray to compare it to tho, only going by memory of playing them in shops). The Duncans have a more aggressive sound than the barts, for want of a better description. They cut through on stage much better (for me at least). I always seemed to be too loud with the barts, trying to hear myself. The barts sound big but mellow in comparision. If you like the MM tone there's a good chance you'd like a Lakland with duncans. They're punchy, sound good and you can get a wide range of tones. BTW, I believe Lakland have a number of different versions of the duncans. It would pay to call them and discuss which one would suit you best.
  3. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I just got a black 55-02 with basslines. I already had a 55-02 with barts and I can tell you that I much prefer the basslines. I can get a very stingrayish sound if that's what is called for. The stingray's pickup is closer to the neck than the Lakland MM pickup, so the Lakland is brighter but you can blend in a little of the jazz pickup to split the difference. Definately get the basslines, you'll be happy as a puppy with two peters. :D