1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawaii Islander, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I've decided to get the Lakland Skyline 55-02 (Natural with maple neck and fretboard) with the trade-in credits at Music123.com. I've been checking out the vids and sound clips on the Lakland website. The audio clips sound amazing! They helped me decide to go the Lakland route. The all natural finish didn't hurt either! :D

Check out the audio clips and the info about them if you can.

http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a huge fan of the 55-02/55-94. I think it is one of the most versatile deisngs ever created, and one of the best basses available below the boutique class. I know I like mine.:)

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am with Doc. I usually leave mine set flat but am always amazed by the tonal palate of the instrument. I have recently discovered a very Jacoish jazz tone on my 55-94. I am a natural fan too! Congrats.

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You'll be happy. I've just been extremely impressed with the Lakland basses. I have a TB-bought used 55-01 Skyline Deluxe and, to be honest, was not expecting a whole lot from the Bartolini pre, but it was an affordable 2nd 5-string bought for the purpose of not having to bring my Dargie Delight SR5 out as much. But wow! The preamp punches and is very tweakable.

The volume pot was extremely loose and after an email to Lakland, Kirk at Lakland mailed me a new one! Can you believe it? What great customer service. Of course now I'm gassing for a 55-02.

I also have a Lakland hollowboy that is easy on the back and sounds and looks great.

The two Laklands I still want to own someday are the 55-02 or the 55-94 and a Scheff.

5. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Excellent choice Islander. You can get the 55-02 to growl or thump. Very versatile. I especially like the neck profile, very comfy.

6. DADDYBASS1

DADDYBASS1

Jun 11, 2006
    PHX
    You have made a very wise choice. The 55-02 will keep ya smiling.:D

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Congrats!!! You'll love it!

I think you'll like the tonal variations....

8. I certainly don't regret going that route, despite my initial issues with my 55-02D. Last night was the first of 6 gigs over four days for my band (We lovingly call it the 'St-Patrick's week slaughter'). It was a private function for some upper-class association or other at McGill University. The sound board was old but solid and we actually had the time to do a proper sound check. I had all knobs at the centre detent and the coil tap set to the bridge position. I got great sound even though I was going straight to the board, but I was still scrambling the dancers' intestines.

Another beautiful night brought to you by Lakland.

9. Congrats man! I fell in love with Lakland necks the moment I picked one up. I'm sure you'll fall in love with too.

10. I just ordered a 55-02 Deluxe Cherry Sunburst / Rosewood neck. Also having Lakland install the bone nut they use on the USA models before they ship it out. I can't wait to get it but unfortunately it won't be ready until late May or June. I'm quite certain it will be worth the wait though.

I got a chance to play one of these at the Bass Exchange on a recent trip to California. Man what a bass.

11. good choice
    i recently got a 55-02 as well :)

l_4c193fe256c97528a31779b3ec40df45.

12. Very nice. I debated getting the 3-tone sunurst. They all look so cool. The GAS never ends.

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    all to true......all to true!!!

I have "All I need" (Glaub, DJ, 55-02) but there is ALWAYS a JO or HB calling me...especially an Inca Silver HB or a 'burst fretless JO.....

14. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Thanks for chiming in guys! I'll be packing up the gear to ship to the Music123 Trade-in Center this weekend and place the order next week sometime.

I'll keep this thread updated as the process moves along. I'll also post pics when she arrives! ;)

15. That's a gorgeous bass. That would be a perfect match for my 55-01 deluxe, except the fretboard, of course.
    CIMG0163.

16. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Excellent choice!! Love my 55-02, even if I didn't get it for a steal! Covers just about everything, lightweight, and the neck feels soooo right!

Congrats man!