Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusMaster, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Anyone own one of these? What can anyone tell me about one of these. I currently own a modulus flea 4. Im looking to buy a lakland skyline 02. How do these basses rate?

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i want to know too...

its one o the basses i hope to find on my USA bass hunt next month

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Excellent basses! One day, I will own one myself (once I get out of the debt I'm in over my new rig...:p).

Dave, where are you going on your "hunt"? I hear that the huntin's good in the Orlando area...

:D

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I love them (except for the extra string on them!). I am a Lakland dealer like Gard and Adrian here and I think they would both agree that they are great basses for the money. Adrian has sound sample on his website and I have a dedicated Lakland Bass forum on my board where you can read some reviews posted by 55-02 owners (and not just from my customers...many guys posting in there bought theirs from Gard or Adrian...it's all good!)

Dude's Lakland Forum

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    very well made axes indeed, the natural finishes are quite pretty ...hey Gard whats up bra.....good talking to you today....gotta keep in touch wit da home boys man...you gonna have to help me out with my salsa some day man.....

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ill be on AZ for less than a week... but i would love to hear some good offers from your store (on a MTD Heir or This Lakland Skyline)

PM me with more info if you want

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I Agree with Dude, I have an Inca Silver forsale that I took in on trade and I think it is as good as any of the US Lakland's I have had. I am Very impressed!!!!

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    anyone sells a Skyline 55-02 Sunburst?? i looove how they look

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I have a sunburst/rosewood 55-02 in stock right now. I have it listed on eBay now:

Link to Auction

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Dude's got all kind's of color's to choose from!!

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL Brian...yeah I have 42 Skylines on the boat right now! Yikes!

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Last January, I told Gard (at Bass Central) I didn't want another "pretty" sounding bass......I asked him if he anything that sounded like a serial killer who forgot his Prozac, but, was versatile enough to sound "big" and smooth enough to comp Tommy Shannon. I took his advice to get a 55-02 and haven't regretted it one bit!!!

Even though it's not a thoroughly US Lakland, it stays true to Dan Lakin's vision of basses that combine the best tonal characteristics of a Ray + a Jazz, IMO.

Talkbass "Reviews" section has my comments about it.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    how closa can a bass like this go to the nasal sound of a jazz bridge pickup?

14. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Dude, Brian, Adrian - anybody played one of these with flatwounds? I use Lakland flats, but you can't string them through the body, and I wonder how that affects the B string.

I have an MTD Beast 5, white with wenge fretboard, and a Sadowsky preamp, thinking of trading in on a Lakland. I love the Beast but it has a dead spot at B on the D string that is slowly driving me crazy. Don't know if that's just this Beast or they are all like that. Looking for something as playable as the MTD but without the dead spot. Maybe contact me offline at bbender@valley.net if interested?

Dude - when I try to get into your pit (sounds slightly kinky, don't it) from at work something called SuperScout says access denied. Is that something at your end, or maybe in the firewall at my end, do you know?

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Sounds like some sort of firewall protection on your work system.

I had one customer request Thomastik-Infeld flats on a 55-02 fretless he bought and I set it up with them. The B & E strings had to be strung through the top and the A, D & G strings I went through the body. The neck took a bit of tweaking to get right due to the low tension (typical with TI's) but he loves them on his 55-02.

I think Tony Moore's 55-02 was strung at the factory with Lakland Flats (all toploaded) and he's likewise very pleased.