Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 55

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWS, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Hello all you Laklandplayers.

How good sounds the new skyline 55 compared to the original? Is there a big difference?

Send your pic of your lakland.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I am waiting for mine to arrive. It was shipped Tuesday by UPS 2nd Day Air. It is Friday night now and it still hasn't arrived...:mad: It looks like I'll have to wait until Monday, almost a week after it was shipped "2nd Day Air". I'll be getting a refund on those shipping costs...As soon as it comes in I'll post a picture. It is a 55-01 in Candy Apple Red with Maple fingerboard.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    cheese

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    www.access-bass.com
    has pics of the skylines.. look under "in stock now" - sound samples coming soon- peace!:D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As for sound, do you mean the 55-01 or the 55-02??? I have a review of my 55-02 in the Talkbass "Reviews", if you care to see that. I've had it for 3 months, use it for gigs every week and play it every day. I'm about ready to put my 3rd set of strings on it.

Mine is very plain-jane.....I don't like the boring natural ash finish, (puts me to sleep). But, I got it anyway because I got a deal on the particular 55-02 I bought. It was the only one available at the price I paid :( But after all, how my bass sounds gets me paid, not how it looks.

With its USA-made pickups and preamp as used on the 55-94 , (Bartolini J-style and MM style), and a 3-position coil tap switch, its sounds reflects Dan Lakin's original concept of basses that combine the best aspects of a classic Fender Jazz and a classic Stingray.

I don't know how it compares where you live, JWS. But in the USA, it is easily one the best basses at the moment for the price, (or at least one of the top 2 or 3).

7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mine FINALLY arrived, only 4 days late....
    It is a great playing, great sounding bass. I haven't had a chance to play it with my band yet, but at home it sounds awesome.

Here is a picture of it:[​IMG]

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just got my 55-01 in about 30 minutes ago. I'm leaving town this afternoon so I won't have time to a/b it with my 55-94. Just from memory though, it does sound more aggressive than the 55-94... I just cranked up a few songs and played along with them and this thing cuts like a knife. I was really surprised when I noticed that I was running it passive and it still has tremendous bite. Playability is very good, right out of the gig bag (it's used)... I just tuned it and played. The preamp allows for more boost than I would think anyone could stand, it's flexible as heck.

I'm impressed.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Cool- so now we can say they kick ass without sounding like a sales pitch- i always thought the 55-01 were great- but i waited to hear it from other players who have played the top end stuff...pretty amazing

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're awesome basses! My 55-01 has the 55-94's electronics.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I cant tell the difference in sound between a USA Lakland and my Skyline 55-02 (Havent posted about it yet, still testing it)
    The 55-01 however is more agressive,a little more harsh and less versatile, but still an AMAZING TONE.
    Both play very good and construction/finish is superb.

Mine is a 55-02 Natural/Rosewood.
    I thought the Maple has even more bite but that could be the pickups (55-02 Rosewood vs 55-01 Maple)

This is the first bass in my whole life that has a little of all the basses (tone) I have liked, combined with a great playability.

I really dig (In fact I wanna cry of happiness) the sound of my 55-02 on J-Bass setting. (Both Pickups on, Bridge Single-Coil Lower Coil, A little bass, a cut a little mids, add some highs) Slapping that is tremendous.

12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have found one complaint about the 55-01. I took the back cover off and found a spaghetti like mess of wires (WAY to much excess wire) with the circuit board just SITTING on top of it, not screwed down or attached in any way, just floating on top of this mess of wires. This is a failure waiting to happen, and I'm surpirised a company of Lakland's reputation would produce something like this. Other than that, though, the workmanship is top-notch.[​IMG]

13. rickbass

I guess, technically speaking, one could say Lakland didn't produce it since the 01's electronics are made in Korea.

The guts of my 02 are clean, neat and everything seems firmly seated I guess the folk in Chicago do the 02's.

14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    All of them, the 55-01s included, go through final setup in Chicago. They are all inspected by the same people who do the American made ones. It is not like they don't know the 55-01s are like this. I still love the bass, but am just surprised. I have several Korean made basses (Tobias, Epiphone), and they all have very neat control cavities, so I don't think it is just being made in Korea that causes it. I emailed Dan Lakin several days ago to ask about it, but he hasn't responded yet.

15. Wow! That looks like something I had to eat once. I could see how that could be a problem if you were a real clutz. As long as your pay attention and becareful it should be alright.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The cherry sunburst w/quilt veneer 55-01 gave me a serious GAS attack! :eek: :D :cool:

17. rickbass

FWIW - I contacted Dan, via email and phone, in Jan. and Feb about my 55-02. Those contacts never regarded problems of any kind, just learning more about the bass. He told me more than I ever expected.......great guy who took time to explain things thoroughly.

So, I'd encourage you to follow-up if you don't hear from him. His email replies were always with 24 hrs. of those I originally sent to him.

Others have found him very responsive, too.