1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lakland skyline 5501 indo or fender jazz bass deluxe mim

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stretberas, Jul 3, 2012.

1. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    hi all..my name is bud from indonesia..
    need some help here..
    im so confuse to choose between lakland skyline 5501 ( made in indonesia)& fender (made in mexico) jazz bass deluxe..
    which one is better? maybe some opinions, review can help...
    i play some reggae, pop, jazz, swing, & sometime rock music..
    sorry for my bad english, =)
    Thanks before...

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Lakland is WAY better. In a different league.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    For your kinds of music, I really think Lakland 5501 is better than MIM Fender active deluxe Jazz (more specifically "rock oriented" to me)

The former has a more versatile 3 band equalizer electronics via couple of soapbars (on/off push/pull volume knob/switch), able to cover many genres but less edgy than the active only dual Ceramic Noiseless 3 band equalizer on the Fender deluxe.
    The latter has a wonderful overall attack and sounds good, but PauFerro 34" fingerboard is harder to set up and release from some fretbuzz, for mellower executions, than maple 35" finger board on Lakland.

To cut a long story short: Lakland is much more versatile (IMHO) and "precise", while Fender stays aggressively growler and more apt for a "rock only" interpretation of pickin' action.

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: don't worry for your english.
    I'm italian: you can figure it out!

4. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    hey bud, is it cheaper to get a lakland skyline over there at indo?

was thinking of dropping by java jazz next yr and maybe grab a lakland skyline there.

any recommendations for places?

5. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    Hi, Wallace thank you kindly..
    Your's suggestion really helped me so much..
    lucky me to joint in this forum... =)
    Yeaahh i think im gonna go for the lakland this week...
    about a week ago i tried this 2 bass and i cannot make some decision..which one is good for me,
    They are have a good reputation on bass industry..but after read your review i am sure i am gonna go for lakland skyline, because i think this bass is have a good hardware & nice finishing over the fender mim deluxe..&off course the sound is good to me..
    Thanks a lot Wallace.. nice to meet you my friend...=)

6. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    PS: don't worry for your english.
    I'm italian:you can figure it out![/QUOTE]

Thanks for yours suggestion my friend...=)

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    If you're going new the Fender will run you 749 new and the Lakland will run you 824 new. For that kind of money I would go with the Lakland for the following reasons:

35 inch scale
    Graphite reinforced neck
    No ugly routing underneath the pg.

I don't like the electronics in the Lakland. They are usable but not my favorite.

8. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    hey redname...
    i think we got the same price in indonesia...
    made in indonesia doesnt mean they sold cheaper in here...=)

9. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks for yours suggestion my friend...
    what do you think about the sound?

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Lakland 5501 w/Bartolini mk1 3 band equalizer, active/passive volume knob switch, ash body and 35" neck scale's something versatile for sure... a bit not so "loud" for a rock environment, were Noiseless and alder body on Fender deluxe are willing an' able to let it "scream", but then, what you're going to play is much more varied than "rock", so there you got it.

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've owned three. I was able to get usable sounds out of them by adding bass and/or mids and typically cutting the treble slightly.

Just my preferences. To my ears the Bart MK1's sound scooped with very glassy high's when the pre is set flat. Boosting the mids def. helps!