Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline 5's are Graphite Reinforced

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deep, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    You all might already know. But I just saw at the "Pit" that the Skyline 5's have Graphite reinforcement in the necks like the USA's. Seems they ALWAYS HAVE had them. That makes them even a better value than we thought :hyper: !!!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    WOW! Are you sure?!

3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I just saw it at the Dudepit in the Lakland forum. That's what it says.....Dude quoted Dan Lakin......so it must be true! This makes them even closer to the USA's. Talk about bang for the buck!!! :hyper: :bassist:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is that all of them or just newer models? I just bought a 55-01 a couple of months ago and if that's true, I'm an even happier camper!

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ditto that, only i bought mine just a few weeks ago. :hyper:

6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Well, it says the 5's have always had them. The 4's don't have them, just the 5's. I'm sure if the Dude sees this thread he'll confirm it as well. This is great news ain't it? Really cool! :hyper:

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Wow! That is totally contradicted on the Lakland site......but would explain why this 55-02 Deluxe I just bought (which I am falling in love with hard BTW) is the only bolt-on I have ever played/owned that sustains as well as most neck-throughs (The swapping of the original Lakland bridge for a more massive Hipshot helps too) and has no dead spots.

Hmmmm. As I am a big fan of Graphite and Graphite Reinforcement, I eagerly await confirmation.:eyebrow: :meh: :hyper:

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
  9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Check the site again. Go to basses, under common features it says "Graphite Reinforcement Bars"

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Cool. My holy grail bass currently is a 55-02D and has been for about a year and a half. It just got even better.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    It true, the 5 string Skylines have always had graphite reinforcement from day one but even Dan was unaware of this until recently.

The specs on the Lakland website are being changed as we speak.

Something else that is different in the specs (but hasn't always been the case as with the graphite reinforcment in the 5 string necks) is that starting with the Spring 2005 shipment the Skyline fretless fingerboards will be lined ebony instead of lined rosewood.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Oh and by the way...if you've bought a Skyline 5 string from me in the past 4 years I'll be sending you a PayPal invoice for $100 soon for this upgrade so watch your inboxes. :spit:

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :D :D :D

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I haven't been there for a few weeks. Either I missed it or it was changed recently.

This sure answers the question in my mind of how this (supposedly) non-reinforced neck (not to meantion 1 piece) could rival the response and playability of my neck-throughs.

I hope this little "revelation" doesn't lead to a market increase on the second-hand Skyline 5s.......since I haven't bought a second one yet. :crying: :p

15. This is great news. I bought a Skyline Joe Osborn 5 with a factory installed J-Retro last week from someone here on Talkbass and this makes me feel even better about my purchase. The bass plays and sounds awesome!

16. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Jeez. And to think I was kind of regretting buying my Lakland from another source only a few days before I found out you sold them at The Dudepit. I guess it turned out to be a good thing afterall. ;)

I still might decide to buy my next one from you, but I don't know ... :D :D :D :D :D

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I had a US Lakland 5 once. It had a terrible neck. It would not stay straight for anything and I would have to adjust it a couple times a night during a gig. I know this isn't everyone's experience but it was mine. Graphite isn't that big of a deal.

18. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I had a neck on a USA that would move alot too. I told Dan.....he said send it back......he replaced it. It's been soild ever since. GREAT customer service......they REALLY care. I think when any neck is made on any bass....you never really know how it will react until its out there in the real world. That's just how wood is. Some have necks that never budge....some move around alot. I've heard that birds-eye maple in general can be very reactive to humidity/dryness. Don't know if that's true or not. But right now my Lakland don't budge at all. Only normal seasonal tweeks.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, those two statements are rather unrelated then. Like Deep, in the previous post, you probably had a defective neck in which the graphite had nothing to do with it.

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    :eek: Yowza! I'm glad I've been waiting (for no real reason) to order my Skyline F-less!

That's some of the best news I've heard recently!

Dude, any idea when this Spring shipment will arrive wit' da EeBoneEe?