Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland skyline and warvick streamer LX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThomasL, Jul 23, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    What's the deal with these basses? Any experiences and/or opinions? it would be much appreciated, they're both 5-string and I'm gonna buy one of them....

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I just bought a Streamer LX 6. Fretless. They are very nice. Mine is the one with Seymour Duncan Bassline pickups and brass nut. I have read from some that the newer ones with MEC pickups aren't as cool.

All I know is other than the fact that it weighs about four tons, I love the look, feel and tone of this bass.

I have only played the U.S. Laklands. They are awesome. Many here say that the Skylines are comparable to the U.S. models.

Chas

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the tone and feel is miles apart. try both of them and get whichever one plays and sounds better.

laklands have 35" scale, wide flat necks, traditional woods, and bartolinis.

warwicks have 34" scale, narrow thick necks, more exotic woods, and MEC's (which are kind of emg/basslines in tonal character)

4. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    I am not sure about the pickups, it was like two single coil things (dont know much about pickups). The Skylines have had great reviews in bassplayer magazine, or bassist perhaps, saying it's one of the best 5'ers out there...

5. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    I've tried both, the Lakland played more easily and faster but I didn't find it wider than the warvick. atleast I didn't notice a change. loved the electronics on the lakland, got a great change of sounds. but I didn't get as much bottom and growl out of it as I did with the Warvick...it's a tough decision...

+ the lakland had sunburst....boooooring... :)

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Man! That's a "try `em both" situation to me.

While I've liked the Warwick stuff, it always was waaaaaaay overpriced to me due to the exchange rate.

Now that the Euro is beating on the US dollar, Warwicks look more attractive to me.

Having tried a couple of Warwicks with MEC pups and owning a Skyline, I still don't see how a Warwick can compete in the US with a Skyline. The Warwicks with MEC's sound "timid", IMO, compared to my Skyline with all Bartolini electronics. My 55-02 Skyline compared to a Warwick with MEC's sounds like a bully beating up a wimp, IMO.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to own one of each.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i respectfully disagree.

to me - the skylines (and US lakland) sound like they're missing something. they've got lots of lows and super high highs but no growl or definition - to me it sounds pretty unnatural and boomy but i think that way about most bart equipped basses.

anyways...don't want to start a pissing contest here so i'll stop.

except to say that unless you are a vampire, it's warWick, not warVick :D

8. The Warwick Streamer LX, IMHO.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're not P.O.'ing me at all Warwick. I agree with you on the "growl" factor. The Skylines are very "modern" sounding, "scooped," compared to Warwicks I've tried.

That's why I said I'd like to own one of each - different tools for different jobs. I think your comments are accurate.

10. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The true GASoholics solution to this dilemma:
    Get both!
    They both have alot going for them,each in it's own way.

11. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    my friend has a 44-94 lakland with lindy fralins in them, i have to say it's one of the sweetest basses i'n ever played

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i'm sure it sounds great. my problem is mainly with the barts so one with lindyfralins or basslines or EMG's i'm sure i'd really like.

13. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    Yeah right....I wish I had that money... :)

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Rather than start a new thread, I want to tag along to hear exactly what I'd give up (tangible and intangible) if I go the bargain route and get a Skyline instead of the real thing. I really like the American Laklands but they are pricey! The Skyline would have to be better than my Cirrus 5.
    Re: Warwick weigh-in factor. I have felt the pain.