Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline basses + DI questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm keen on getting a Lakland Skyline series bass but not being able to try one out (I live in Singapore and none of the music stores carry Lakland plus I don't know anyone who owns/has owned one), I'm not sure if I should go with a 55-01 or 55-02. I'm also not sure if I should get one with a maple or rosewood fingerboard.

I play with a pick 90% of the time, and I really like the sound of a J-style pickup in the bridge position and a P-style pickup in the centre position. This is the sound that I hope to acheive.

Again, having not played one I have no idea what to expect in regards to the pickups on those Laklands, and I'm hoping anyone who owns or has had experiance with those basses can help me make a decision, based on the sound I want as described in the previous paragraph. I know I may not be able to get that exact P/J sound, but I was wondering which of the two models would come closer.

Also, I'm looking for a good DI for recording purposes. So far from what reading I've done on them, I'm interested in the Sansbass DI (which I had at one point and liked) and the Aguilar DI, which I've never tried out personally but have heard many good things about. Which of the two would you recommend, and are there other comparable DI's which I should know about?

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks!
    Trev

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've played both 55-01's and 55-02's in a store recently and the 55-02 was hands down superior to my ears. No contest. Not even close.

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Before I respond, I'll tell you I absolutely LOVE my 55-02. Very versatile, very nice to play, very well made.

However, something you said got my attention - that you love the sound of a P pickup at the neck and a J pickup at the bridge. The 55-02 has a Jazz style pickup at the neck position and though it sounds fantastic I'm not sure you'll get the P tone you're looking for. Well, that at least applies to the typical 55-02 configuration with the Bartolini's. They have an option to get SD Bassline and Jazz pickups, which may or may not give you tones closer to what you're looking for. If nothing else they'll be different (here is a comparison of the Barts and SDs from Laklands website )

With the MM pickup at the bridge and the coil splitter switch (on the 55-02, but not on the 55-01) you can probably get closer to the Jazz tone you're looking for than the P tone you're looking for. I also have a MIM Jazz Deluxe V and I can get something very close to the Jazz's bridge pickup on the 55-02, though quieter. My Jazz is about 5 years old and doesn't have the noiseless pickups in the current model.

Another possibility might be a Five String USA Fender Precision Deluxe, though I don't know if the bridge humbucker gets very J-like.

Having said all that, I'll admit that I'm not a tone expert. Maybe others would have some better ideas or a more detailed opinions on the 55-02's Bartolini's.

However I can tell you if you go the 55-02 route it's a fantastic instrument.

4. consider a skyline Joe Osborne with added J-retro...

5. I own a 55-02 and have to say that it will not sound like a Fender. The 35" scale pretty much poo-poos that possibility. I will say that the preamp in the 55-02 is much superior and so is the workmanship. I've played a ton of gigs with the 55-02 and I love the bass. I've recorded with it too. The 55-01 has the Korean preamp and the 55-02 has the American Bartolini preamp.

6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    or consider what i plan to do...buy a skyline glaub and play it for a while...if its the balls, have your luthier route in a jazz pickup...could be a Fralin jazz in the bridge position, or maybe a stacked humbucker with single coil switch for a p/j with altnate options. i have the osborn and it sounds great but its not a p bass

7. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    First of all, sorry for the late reply.. I've been pretty busy with work lately. Thanks for the help everyone - I think I will be going with the 55-02. I'll be sure to update you guys when I get the bass. Again, thanks for all the helpfull suggestions!

Trev