Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Mar 2, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Time to enlist the opinion of fellow TBers. I have a deposit on a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn. Its essentially the Bob Glaub with a maple on maple neck and specialty aluminum pickguard. Its in excellent but used condition w/gig bag. I suspect the P neck might not be to my taste but only time will tell if i get used to it. To see what my financial risk would be (how much would I loose) I wonder what you all would actually pay if you were buying such a used bass yourself. Honest numbers appreciated!

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I had a D.D. Lakland.
    They are a great bass for the money.
    well made, great pickups, string thru body bridge.
    Big 60's style neck 1 3/4.
    If your looking for a good P-bass, look no further.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    There was recently a Skyline Bob Glaub w/Jazz neck for sale here on TB. I think the guy was asking $650 for it but I don't know whether he sold it or for how much.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd hit it for that price. Was it a USA or a MIM neck?

I've never had the pleasure of playing any of the signature Laklands, but I played a USA 55-94 and...wow. WOW! I'd definitely have taken that home had I the cash.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry about that; I should have said it had a Skyline JO neck which used to be optional on the Skyline BG. I just meant that it was a Jazz profile neck as opposed to a Precision profile neck.

6. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I can pick up that Duck Dunn for $630 locally including tax. From what everyone says it sounds like im not overpaying, since the list on the DD is about $100 above the Glaub.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That doesn't sound too bad if it's in excellent condition. I paid $850 for my Skyline Glaub new and I love it. Even though I've said this about other basses before I've promised myself I'll never sell it. All others are fair game :cool: .

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Duke, if that's the one that I saw and played in Mr. Music, you are getting a deal! I love that bass! It was way better than the '57 Re-Issue that they had also. Good score! If I had the cash, I'd be posting about how I'd bought it!

9. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    sssh :)

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Man, if decide not to buy it pleeeease PM me with that info and/or tell the shop to hold it for Jason from Maine. Or if you do buy it and don't like the big neck, PM me with that info to.

11. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Very cool bass. Surprisingly complex nuanced sound. Came with very slick flatwounds, which when combined with the near-5-string width fretboard, makes for a whole new left hand feel.