Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Glaub vs. Fender US 62RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Sep 18, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you think these two compare in sound and quality?
    I want a P-bass with a J-bass neck in Lake placid blue so the Glaub is my only option. But how does tha Glaub compare to the made in US 62RI P-bass (fender). I cant try the Glaub before buying so please help.

2. The Glaub is a USA made Lakland, and seriously expensive. My gut (opinion-only) tells me it is superior to a production Fender.

Check over on the Dude Pit, as there are some Glaub owners there, and Dude is a Lakland dealer.

Link to the Dude Pit

3. Bump !

It's been awhile since this thread was started.

Can anyone comment further?

P-bass GAS is comming to a boil!

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've played both and they're great instruments. My #1 is an early '90s '62 Reissue (JPJ style...three color sunburst w/ tortoise shell p-guard). I had the great fortune to test out the Skyline line here in Chicago (and compare them directly aganst Fenders) right before they were introduced at winter NAMM a while back. The Skylines were good too, better than the Fenders, I thought, but they weren't good enough to make me want to ditch my Reissue.

While both are very nice basses, the other option that wasn't mentioned was the Lull P4 or P5. Lulls are a tremendous value, have great tone, and the fit/finish/playability is right there with the best of them. I'd seriously look into a passive Lull before deciding on one of the other two.

5. Thanks JPJ !

Others care to chime in?

6. My main bass is a 62 reissue. To me the thing that makes the reissues special is the neck and fingerboard profiles. My reissue has a very wide and flat (front to back) neck . I love it and its what sold me on the reissues I like the 57 maple board version as well. Any way IMO I see no point in someone buying a reissue P if they want a Jazz neck. I suppose the Skyline Glaub would be your best bet , All reviews of the Fralin pickups have talked of thier vintage P tone. I personally think the Skyline Glaub compares more to the american series Fenders than to the american vintage series. Check out Steve Beals at Basses Loaded for the best prices I've seen on Lakland.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I had a 62 Precision Reissue and traded it for a Lull P4. Both of them are great basses with wonderful tone. I got the Lull because I've always wanted a custom made bass and got a good deal on it used.

8. Thanks Guys,

Any other Lull P4 players out there care to chime-in?

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)

10. I have tried both and prefer the tone of the Lakland Skyline. A friend has a Lake Placid Blue Skyline Glaub with a jazz neck in his shop at a great price. I prefer the larger Precision neck, but the tone on this bass is great. You might drop him an email since he does a lot of international business. Here is his website address.

http://www.starrsguitars.com

He has a big weekend playing a couple gigs and producing an outdoor music festival, so he probably won't answer until next week. Good luck.

11. Had a chance to demo the 62RI twice this week. This neck is really starting to grow on me. How does the 'standard' neck profile on the Skyline or US Bob Glaub compare to the 62RI?

Thanks -

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Two big differences between the two IMO:

RI P-Bass = Alder Body & 7.25" Board Radius

Skyline Glaub = Swamp Ash Body & 10" Radius Board

13. I played a Mike Lull P bass and thought is was great. I liked it better than the fender re-issue.

personally, I think a P bass is a P bass, you don't have to get that fancy with them. just a nice P pickup and something that feels nice to play. it is kinda a hard bass to mess up that bad.

14. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Dude. Aren't you try to coax Dan into offering 7.25 radius as an option on some Lakland models ?

15. Yes, and Dude, I like the 7.25 Raduis just like you do. It feels better.

Hopefully, Dan will consider the poll that is being taken on the Pit about the Radius.

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Yes, I'm working on him but if it does come together it will only be offered on USA's and not Skylines. To me a P-Bass needs to be:

A) Alder
    B) 7.25" Radius board

As in all things YMMV

17. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Well, that is some progress. The USA's would be more "custom" anyway. Too bad he couldn't make a few "special" Skylines like that.

18. Hey!!

This thread is EXACTLY what I was wondering for a long time now. I guess I prefer the Fender because of the rootsy player I am. Do you guys know a good place to order a Fender '62 reissue P bass? A store or webdealer that ships internationally?? Thanks!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Check this site out!
    They have a fiesta read 62 RI at a great new price (for Europe)
    link

20. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My used Lull was $1100. I think they are almost $3,000 new.