Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Hollow Bodies on the way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dude, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Just got word from Dan yesterday that he's approved the prototype Skyline Hollow Bodies and will be putting them into production for mid-Summer delivery.

This is a general announcement only...contact your favorite Lakland Dealer for more information.

More info & pics here

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Whoo hoo!

4. OH MAN!

These just might give the Jack Casady a run for the money! :eek:

Thanks for the news, Dude.:)

Mike

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes, but will it replace my "new to me" '73 Gibson Les Paul Signature??? I'll have to see!

[​IMG]

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I love the Les Paul Signature over my '65 Guild Starfire which I sold to but the Ric 4002 which is now being sold to pay for the LP Sig...oh when will it stop????

[​IMG]

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dude
    how do you compare it to the Epiphone jack casady, both are great basses. Semi hollow is the way to go tons of round tones. What kind of amp are you playing that one out of. Can you share how much you spent on that investment. Thanks

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool! I have to get down to the Chicago factory one of these days...

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I'm playing it through my trusty Ampeg B-100R. It just came in yesterday and the neck needs to settle into the dry Arizona climate for a day or two before I do a full setup on it but initial first impressions are that it is much better constructed than my former Epi-Casady:

[​IMG]

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Sweeet! What scale length do Lakland use for their hollowbody basses?

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    34"

12. Dude, that's my amp, and that is my Casady TO-A-TEE!
    Sunburst is yummy.:)

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Ahhh yes but what strings do you play with? I had my sunburst JC setup with Rotosound black nylons.

I have a difficult time justifying another amp over this B-100R (for my style of playing). I got this one from luthier Steve Azola who upgraded the stock speaker to a cast frame 15" out of an Ampeg PA cab so it's not stock. It also has casters installed.

Someday I'll fall into a vintage fliptop I'm sure but for now I just love this amp and only gave up $350 for it.

[​IMG]

14. Strings? Dean Markley Blue Steel. They go with this bass like mustard on a hot dog. In fact I use them on 3 out of my 5 basses. They're on my Casady, Stingray and Ibanez Musician. They're just so balanced sounding, and I don't just mean string to string. They have a nice full bottom, but, are never boomy, the mids are strong, but, not overpowering and the highs are never brash. And for a roundwound string, they seem to get better with age. I had one set on for 10 months and only changed them to go to a different gauge. I went from .100s to .105s. A simialr string is the D'Addario slowound, which I think is a little harsher and has a little more midrange push to it. I had Roto 77s flats on it for a while; they were pretty good for flats. I wanted to use flats to emphasize the acoustic tone of the bass, but, once I tried the Blues there was no comparison. Fellow Jackster and TB member Boogiebass turned me on to them - Thank you, Boogie! ;)

I have Roto 77s on my fretless Jazz and Zons (don't know which set - the shop put them on) on my Yamaha 5 string. The Zons are a little brighter than the Blues and a little more growly.

I want to try Elixirs, but, I might buy an Ibanez EDA-905 fretless soon and they come from the factory with these.

Seriously, try a set of Dean Blues on either your Les Paul or the Casady. You won't regret it.

Mike :cool:

Oh, I forgot to say something about the amp.

Ampeg B100Rs are the best for a mid sized amp as far as size (not too big) and volume go, and the tone is just what I like.

Thank you, Brad J. and Rayzak. ;)

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    This Les Paul Sig came in with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds on it and they're just too wimpy for my taste.

I have a case of mixed Dean Markley's to try out and I have sets of 3 different DM strings here...would you say I should try the Blue Steels over the Signature Series NickelSteel or the SR2000's?

Jack uses the Blue Steels if I'm not mistaken correct?

I also love the TI PowerBass EB-344's..ever try them?

16. I never tried any TI strings, but, from what you just said I don't think I'd like them. Others here rave about them, but, I don't think I could deal with a .070 A string.

I've never tried any of the other Dean types. This is how much the Blues impressed me. :)

Yes, Jack does use the Blue Steels.

Mike

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Thanks! It seems I've hijacked my own thread which was supposed to be a simple announcement about the the Lakland Skyline Hollow Bodies!

I have some questions pertaining to this Gibson Les Paul Signature now so I guess I'll start another thread and return this one back to it's original subject matter.

18. Please ask them to not make them in THIS colour!
    Still loving my blueburst USA Hollowbody Deluxe. Hopefully the HB thing will pick up for Lakland with the Skyline series. They are really great basses and do much more than most people may think a hollowbody can do.
    [​IMG]

19. wow! that looks like a wal for some reason. maybe the pickups.

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You're safe there FC...took me nearly a year of begging to get them to do that custom one off color for you bro! I will ask them to do soem Shoreline gold ones if possible for the Epi JC freaks though. Do you have a similar photo of the back of your bass?