1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (longneck) vs Guild Starfire II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red7flag, Nov 26, 2018.

1. red7flag

red7flag

Oct 25, 2017
    Dickson, TN
    These are two hollowbodies that interest me. I have a Lakland HB and am curious how it stacks up against the Guild. I played one Starfire II at a loud box store and due to the noise had a hard time eveluating it. Would love some feedback from you thumpers, especially for those of you who have A/Bed them. Thanks.

2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Love Guild Starfires with strung with flats. Neck pup gives you "woody" (maybe in the direction of Hofner Beatle Bass) type tones, bridge pup is much punchier. I like the way the controls incorporate a master volume knob. Pole pieces are individually adjustable for height which is nice for fine-tuning string-to-string uniformity of response. Some complain about intoning with the Guild bridge, but I've never found that to be particularly problematic. I like the necks on them better than anything else I've played, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Sorry I can't opine about the Lakland Hollow, never having even seen one in the flesh. Considered getting the Lakland Hollow 30 (short scale) but didn't like the narrow frets and how the neck tapered wider towards the body (though it is 1.50" at the nut, like the Starfire). The long-scale Hollow looks like it may be fitted with wider frets, but I'm not sure about that: you may want to check on that if it makes a difference to you and you're thinking of ordering sight-unseen.