1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lakland Skyline Hollwobody: MII, Single Coil Chi-Sonics

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Diaper Geni, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Just got this in, but it's just not for me. Sounds stupid, but it sounds to "hollow". I know...I know...I don't want to hear it!

Made In Indonesia. Single coil Chi-Sonics. Three tone translucent. Strung with LaBella Deep Talkin' flats. Weighs 8.5 lbs on my bathroom scale that weighs in half pound increments. To be on the safe side, say 8.5-9 lbs. It's this bass with an owner in-between.

Very nice playing and looking bass.

Issues:
    --In the words of the owner whose FS thread is linked above, "When I received it it had the typical minor crack between the base of neck and upper pickup and two tiny finish cracks in each corner of neck pocket. This seems to be pretty common. I contacted Lakland about it and they said it is just a thin layer of wood and isn't supporting anything and it will be fine to leave it that way. But it did bug me and it was repaired with cryogenic glue. You can still see the lines in the finish slightly if you look close enough."
    --The neck tone is not working. It was like that when I received it from the owner after the owner linked above.

Bass is priced accordingly, IMO. If you feel I'm out of line let me know.

$750 shipped/insured in a nice Roadrunner case with a little extra padding to make the bass fit nice and snug. This is a great deal for somebody handy with a soldering iron.

Trades? Prolly not. But you can always tirekick. I don't mind. 44-02's with the Lakland/Hanson pickups/pre and L2k's are pretty much what I desire the most, ATM.

2. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Pics:

Attached Files:

3. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    'Nudder pic:

Attached Files:

4. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Also, to answer a PM regarding the reason for the low price:
    --This is the price I paid for the bass.
    --I put the value of getting the tone pot working correctly at $50-$75 at a good guitar repair place. So that makes the "real price" $800-$825.

IOW, I'm not trying to justify a flawed bass with a low price. If you buy it and there are issues with it, I'll either buy it back or refund money to get it fixed. Most likely I'll just buy it back, shipping included.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I thought these Chi-sonics were humbuckers...

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    So Korea or Indonesia?

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    MII... Made in Indonesia.

8. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    To answer some questions:
    --No push/pull pots on the bass.
    --"Made In Indonesia" stamped on the headstock.
    --There's no way I'd be able to photograph those little tiny cracks mentioned in the OP. They are visible to the naked eye. Not to be a jerk, but if you need to ask about the cracks then pass on this bass.
    --As-is, the bass is single coil with that lovely 60 hz hum!.*

*In response to a couple of PM's with good questions, I popped the hood on the control cavity and man, what a sloppy wiring job. I'd be suprised if somebody didn't get in there and re-wire the bass up themselves. Which got me to thinking: Would somebody, for whatever reason re-wire humbuckers to be series/single coil?

I've emailed Lakland. I won't sell the bass until I've heard back from them about whether they think the bass has been messed with or whether the pickups are single coil or hummies.

Stay tuned for more info. Sorry about temporarily pulling the sale but I'm not going to sell a bass without being sure of what I'm selling! (I should have checked the bass out better before listing it.)

If you have any questions or info, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!--Bruce

9. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Got this bad boy rewired professionally and man!, what a difference! Sounds great!

Still not sure if it's a long-term keeper, but for right now I'm not going to sell.

Thanks for all the interest and offers!

10. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    And gone. Thanks TB!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.