Lakland Skyline is KOREAN MADE!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old grouch, Dec 29, 2005.

1. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

Those @#%^&* )(*^&% no good $#%^*&'s at Lakland....tried to slip a Korean made ax over on me! Caught it at the last! THATS RIGHT, the Skyline is made in Korea. That might not make a LOT of difference to some, but they are just not 'there' yet in overall quality.

SSSOOOOOOOOO, I went back to Fender, American, but NOT the P Bass. I went with the Zone. Check THIS out! LINK!!!LINK!!!

Heres the Specs....its HOT! ZONE BASS ZONE BASS I the only ignant mofuh that didn't know the Skyline was Korean? They are probably just a fine axe, but what the heck is a man without an honest phobia? I the only ignant mofuh that didn't know the Skyline was Korean? They are probably just a fine axe, but what the heck is a man without an honest phobia?
  2. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Thats a nice lookin fender.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You must be. It's no secret the Skylines are Korean (although the electronics and final finishing is done in Chicago). Regardless of the country of origin, I'd bet if you played a Zone and a 44-02 side by side, you'd prefer the skyline.
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My Skyline Glaub laughs at your pathetic Zone.

Mwhahahahaha!! :ninja:
  5. old grouch

I'm allowed. Its been a while since I played (or shopped) basses. The zone (according to the hype) has great active action, and is about 5 pound lighter than a P or a Warwick.

One thing nice about Koreans....they respect their elders. And Geezer Musicians. :scowl:
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, and many know this. Some don't. They're set up to Lakland specs by Dan Lakin and the boys at the Lakland shop in the good ol' US of A.

Whichever way you go, best of luck.

Just a word of advice, I play two Japanese basses, one Korean bass, one Korean acoustic guitar and two Chinese ones. Nothing wrong with any of them.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Lakland makes other basses, they are just up there in price. I'm suprised it didn't come out,but yes it's pretty common knowlage.
    Nice looking Fender, what color did you get?
  8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Of course it's your call and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you buy but I've always thought the Lakland Skyline series to be quite nice and a very good buy regardless of where they are made.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm curious as to who tried to "slip it past" you. :confused:
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    THEY did. Doh. :D

I have played several Skylines at my local store, and would take any one of them over most Fenders that the store carries. Note I said most Fenders.

My main bass was made in Canada. Is that bad??? ;)
  11. old grouch

I really try to do homework. Now if you ask 10 cardiologists, you get 10 different answers. I simply ASSUMED that the price and the feedback would indicate that these were American made. Not blaming anyone, in fact there is no blame. I know that Fender is not the same as when I bought my NEW used (3 year old 57 P) in 60.....but it is getting tricky to navigate the hype, and get the one that feels good. I think, that after the (quick and spicy) feedback, that I might call back and switch back to the Lakland, the exception being that I would opt for the 'flamed maple top'. Or, get away from the Zone, and go for the American DeLuxe P Bass.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Old Grouch, if you saw the prices of American made Laklands, you might just appreciate the break you get with Korean made Skylines.
  13. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I own a korean made Ibby, and it's as high of quality as any CUSTOM made american bass, no reason to bash Skylines for that, as long as they didn't steal technology, I'm fine with them.

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. My Skyline DJ5 says quite clearly "made in Korea" on the headstock.

Go with what works for you. Buy a MIA Fender if that's what you like.

For me, I've played few non-vintage Fenders that played or sounded as well as the Lakland Skylines I've played. ('course I haven't played all the Fender models, or anything from the Custom shop line).
  15. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    I have the Zone in the maple:

This is a very nice instrument but not for everyone. Try before you buy or get one online that you have the option of returning. I happen to love mine.
  16. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Lakland makes good instruments and the new Fender big blocks are going to be made in korea.I tried out some laklands but ended up buying a fender roscoe beck 5 and it has a wood plug in the back headstock where fender messed up,so go figure .
  17. Congrats on the Zone, hope its everything you expected. But I guess there is a reason behind your nick. ;)
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth!

No matter what country that they are made in, Lakland Skylines are one of the best values around.

Here is my Korean Lakland.

19. old grouch

OK..OK..OK....MEA CULPA! First of all, I love all people. To me, as with Lewis, you are all like *%^*&ING Snowflakes. And so, trusted pals and palettes, I have already made the call, thoroughly confused the $6.75 per hour night-oil sales dept @ musiciansfriend, and stopped order on the Fender Zone, and RE-UPPED the order on the Lakland Skyline 3 Color Sunburst with the Rosewood neck!

What the hell, if I don't get along with it, I have the regular 45 days no-tell return.

I DO, repeat, DO APPRECIATE your input! Also, be aware, that if its not what you say it is, I will be over to used your guest room, as whenever I get on a "I MUSY BUY THINGS" jag, the missus gets hinky! So, if the Lakland turns out to be a bust, I'm livin with YOU! ;)
    Again, HERE IT IS
  20. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    here is my new fender

Attached Files: