Lakland Skyline J.Osborn vs. Ken Smith Design V70J4 vs. MIA Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 27, 2005.

1. I'm going to be purchasing one of these this week and need TB's help. Which would you go with out of the above 3 choices?

All choices are Ash w/ Maple board. PLEASE HELP!!

(My tonal likings are growly and edgy, w/ nice upper mids)

which would you recomend?
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Fender Jazz Bass American Series Deluxe...all the wayyyyyyyy because we love Fenders :bassist:
  3. I actually preffer passive.
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ok,Fender American..because remember.....we love Fenders :D
  5. Thanks Funky Tune, Anyone Else?
  6. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    KSD's are active, but I also hear they're edgy.
  7. To my understanding the KDS is push/pull vol. for active/passive.

But, your recomendation would be the KSD?
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would think the MIA Fender would be built to more exacting specs than the other two. I know Skylines are great (owned one briefly) and have heard good things about the KSD. an owner of a MIA 2004 Jazz Deluxe V...I have it say it's a truly awesome bass. The SCN pickups and new 18 volt preamp sound really good. I know you prefer passive but set at flat....the Jazz Deluxe has some VERY nice vintage tones.
  9. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I don't know. I like Laklands alot. On the other hand, used Fenders are a bargain. But tonally, the KSD's are supposed to have that modern bite.
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've owned a KSD, and a Jaco fretless jazz, and I have a Lakland on the way (55-02 though not a JO), the KSD is a great bargain (but I modified the preamp, well changed the pre after I bought it), it was a very pure bright sound coming out of it, might have been the strings or my technique but it was very bright and edgy sounding with the pre (J-Retro preamp), the Fender Marcus Miller I played next to it (also had a J-Retro in it), wasn't as bright naturally. As for my recommendations, I would say the JO, even though I didn't play my Lakie yet, thats just what I would go with as far as how I'd imagine the standard playability of all 3 basses to be, I'd say Lakland would have the most consistant decent playing and decent sounding bass you can buy out of those choices, my Fender RB5 is a sweet bass, but I got lucky, even the guys at Sam Ash said they never seen Fender send any bass to them as nice as mine (they had to special order it), so bottom line my opinion would be the Lakland, with the Fender slightly ahead of the KSD (due to the weight, the super long neck, and the chances of getting a sour one just slightly above Fender in my opinion, all 3 are great basses though I wouldn't mind having any one of them (reason I sold the KSD was I traded it in towards a great deal on a MTD 535, and I sold the Jaco because I stopped playing 4s that often, and I also stopped playing fretless very often, and traded it in towards my new Lakie coming in.)
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't have any experience with the KSD, but I've played the Lakland and own a 2003 Am. Ser. Fender J. Of the two, I think the Fender could be a slightly better value if you can get a substantial discount at a reputable dealer (i.e., not the $949 most places charge). It comes with hardshell case, graphite rods in the neck (Lakland Skyline fivers have these, but not the fours even if the website indicates otherwise), and the S-1 switch which can be useful. I also prefer the feel of Fender's necks, which was an important deciding factor.

But the Skyline JO is awesome, largely because of the Lindy Fralin pickups. They are outstanding, and I just installed some in my J with great results. So if you like the feel of the Lakland more than the Fender, or would call it a draw on that score, go with the Lakland for the tone. If you can get a good deal on the Fender, and prefer its feel, get that (or maybe a used one) and install some high end pickups later.
  12. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've no experience with KSDs, but I do have experience with Fenders and Laklands. I don't know what music stores you have access to or what they stock but if you can play the Laklands and Fenders before you buy the decision will be an easy one. If you can't I would feel less hesitant about buying a Lakland sight-unplayed than a Fender. I own both Fenders and a Lakland USA JO and Lakland's quality control seems to be better than Fender's. Don't think you'll get any argument on this forum about that.

If you buy a Lakland Skyline JO it will already have Fralin pups in it. I've played a Skyline JO and was impressed with it for the short time I had it in my hands.
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Lakland JO.

Lindy Fralins, top-notch construction, fit and finish. What more do you need?

You can always add a preamp (onboard, or outboard) of your choice later. Getting the classic vintage tone out of an active bass, on the other hand, is a tough trick to pull off.
  14. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I like the Lakland but I personally would go for the MIA fender J
  15. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    JO is my vote. Fit and finish are great. Tone is outstanding. Powerful bass for being passive. The neck of the 4 is fast - the 5 thin and playable. I have 3 JOs and love them. My 4 and 5 have J-retros in them - my fretless is passive. Can get some great deals on these used.

That's my two cents.