Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline JO jazz OR G&L JB2 jazz ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, May 20, 2004.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I've tried both and the quality is equal. Both are capable of the vintage jazz sound. The Lakland is a Fender copy (excuse the term) and the G&L basically is a (Leo)Fender per say but doesn't have the classic tort shell,tear drop body...look. G&L is handmade in Amer. and Lakland Skyline series is made in Korea but with no loss in quality since it goes thru a strict US prep shop!
    Well you know the basses. The price is about the same . Which would you spring for ? Why?

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've not done the G&L thing - but i do own a different Lakland model and I must say they're quite nice. I've heard samples of a G&L off of their website and I didn't care for the tone - IMO

Here's my lakland:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cgworkman/lakland/

Good luck

:bassist:

3. What warranty comes with the Lakland ?

G&L has 10 years and made in USA. :)

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know why more folks don't mention the G&L JB2. My local dealer has one and I love it. If I weren't already getting a five, I would snap one up. I still might after I have gotten some thing really nice for my wife! :) I'm sure you can't go wrong with a Skyline, but I really think that JB2 is a really classy bass. It is probably the best looking pickguardless J-bass outside of a Sadowsky. Mine you, I'm not comparing it's sound or quality to a Sadowsky, but in terms of looks, I think it's real close.

5. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    If all else is equal, vote on comfort. Lakland all the way. Every G&L that I have owned (4 of them in all) was too heavy (for my back anyways) and had a 'blocky' feel. While I have a owned a few heavy ash Lakland Skylines, the 44-02 I have now is much lighter than any G&L I've played and the neck and body on a JO are sleek and stylin'.

6. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I own a G&L,never though it was heavy or blocky. Must just have a good one. Actually thought it was kind of sleek and thin compared to when I pick up a Fender. Your right with the feel of Lakland though they are very smooth,sleek feeling.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't owned either model but I have had alot of G&L's & a couple of Skylines.

IMO, I would go for the G&L. IME, the G&L quality far surpasses that of the Skyline.

Since you tried both & you feel the most things are equal, it's gonna be a tough choice. You'll be a happy camper with either bass.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I honestly don't care for the G&L headstocks.... And that is enough for me. I am fairly shallow!

Go with the lakland...

P@

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've never played a G&L, so I can't comment on them. They do enjoy a solid reputation and are obviously high quality. However, I do have a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4 (Natural, maple board, black pickguard). I bought it new about a year ago. I can tell you that the quality, playability and sound of the Skyline are all excellent. Every Skyline Joe Osborn I've played has been consistently good. I have not played one that had a dead spot around the fifth to seventh fret on the G string. That in itself is amazing! I bought my Skyline as a passive alternate/backup to my Pedulla Thunderbolt. I enjoy playing the Skyline as much as the Pedulla. (No, I'm not insane). Different basses for different situations. :bassist:

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I agree. I have a Skyline JO 5 and love it. A friend played it last night and said, wow this bass sure is easy to play!

Tim99.

11. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    This thread led me to check a local G&L dealer and I must say that the SB-2 I played (p/j type) was lighter weight due to what the dealer said was an alder body. The body is also a slim-precision style so there is less mass. I'll stand by my bulky/klunky comment in regards to the L-2000, ASAT body types. I must also be shallow as I would prefer a vintage looking bass when going for a vintage tone and to me the JO does a better job of the vintage aesthetics.

Good luck!

12. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    SO, the J-retro look is a big hang up with me too,I love the look! But,The Made in Korea thing isn't a problem with you Pro Lakland fan though ?