Lakland Skyline JO jazz OR G&L JB2 jazz ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, May 20, 2004.

1. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I've tried both and the quality is equal. Both are capable of the vintage jazz sound. The Lakland is a Fender copy (excuse the term) and the G&L basically is a (Leo)Fender per say but doesn't have the classic tort shell,tear drop body...look. G&L is handmade in Amer. and Lakland Skyline series is made in Korea but with no loss in quality since it goes thru a strict US prep shop!
    Well you know the basses. The price is about the same . Which would you spring for ? Why?
  2. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I've not done the G&L thing - but i do own a different Lakland model and I must say they're quite nice. I've heard samples of a G&L off of their website and I didn't care for the tone - IMO

Here's my lakland:

Good luck

3. What warranty comes with the Lakland ?

G&L has 10 years and made in USA. :)
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know why more folks don't mention the G&L JB2. My local dealer has one and I love it. If I weren't already getting a five, I would snap one up. I still might after I have gotten some thing really nice for my wife! :) I'm sure you can't go wrong with a Skyline, but I really think that JB2 is a really classy bass. It is probably the best looking pickguardless J-bass outside of a Sadowsky. Mine you, I'm not comparing it's sound or quality to a Sadowsky, but in terms of looks, I think it's real close.
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    If all else is equal, vote on comfort. Lakland all the way. Every G&L that I have owned (4 of them in all) was too heavy (for my back anyways) and had a 'blocky' feel. While I have a owned a few heavy ash Lakland Skylines, the 44-02 I have now is much lighter than any G&L I've played and the neck and body on a JO are sleek and stylin'.
  6. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I own a G&L,never though it was heavy or blocky. Must just have a good one. Actually thought it was kind of sleek and thin compared to when I pick up a Fender. Your right with the feel of Lakland though they are very smooth,sleek feeling.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't owned either model but I have had alot of G&L's & a couple of Skylines.

IMO, I would go for the G&L. IME, the G&L quality far surpasses that of the Skyline.

Since you tried both & you feel the most things are equal, it's gonna be a tough choice. You'll be a happy camper with either bass.
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I honestly don't care for the G&L headstocks.... And that is enough for me. I am fairly shallow!

Go with the lakland...

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've never played a G&L, so I can't comment on them. They do enjoy a solid reputation and are obviously high quality. However, I do have a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4 (Natural, maple board, black pickguard). I bought it new about a year ago. I can tell you that the quality, playability and sound of the Skyline are all excellent. Every Skyline Joe Osborn I've played has been consistently good. I have not played one that had a dead spot around the fifth to seventh fret on the G string. That in itself is amazing! I bought my Skyline as a passive alternate/backup to my Pedulla Thunderbolt. I enjoy playing the Skyline as much as the Pedulla. (No, I'm not insane). Different basses for different situations. :bassist:
  10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I agree. I have a Skyline JO 5 and love it. A friend played it last night and said, wow this bass sure is easy to play!

11. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    This thread led me to check a local G&L dealer and I must say that the SB-2 I played (p/j type) was lighter weight due to what the dealer said was an alder body. The body is also a slim-precision style so there is less mass. I'll stand by my bulky/klunky comment in regards to the L-2000, ASAT body types. I must also be shallow as I would prefer a vintage looking bass when going for a vintage tone and to me the JO does a better job of the vintage aesthetics.

Good luck!
  12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
  13. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    SO, the J-retro look is a big hang up with me too,I love the look! But,The Made in Korea thing isn't a problem with you Pro Lakland fan though ?