Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline JO vs Fender MIA Jazz vs 75RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Oct 7, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have a MIA P and im thinking of getting a jazz-style next. How are the Skyline Joe Osbornes compared to the MIA Jazzes. Does the graphite re-inforced neck really help on the MIA? How would one compare the Lindsey Fralin pups to the MIA's and its S1 switch? And the 75RI???

thanks

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    It would seem like it would be a tie between the Skyline's Fralin's and the reissue's...well... 75 reissues. A Joe Osborne with an obp-3 should take the cake, although it would then be an active situation. The 75's pickups are defined & very growly sounding, with fabulous....yes, fabulous bottom to them... & are exclusive to the 75 only. I've played a deluxe jazz and it sounded like everyone says it does, sort of thin and nasaly, although I still enjoyed it's tone somewhat. So basically, all passive....the JO and 75 take top honors. I've always said if I want the jazz sound & vibe, might as well go with the real deal Fender headstock and grab the best Fender have to offer, cause it's MEAN competition out there. It's like if you want the Stingray sound & vibe, sure an ATK's cool, but just wait a bit, save, and go all out and get the originator.

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    How does the MIJ 75RI compare to the American one?

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    How does the MIJ 75RI compare to the American one?

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    You know - that's a hard call. The Lakland's are nice, but so are the MIA Fender's. I have a MIA Fender Dlx Jazz V and I used to have a Lakland - and they're both incred. nice.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The difference between the two is the pup placement, the MIA bass has the bridge pup closer to the bridge. That is how the original 75 bass was done. Also the pups I don't think are the same even though they both may be MIA made. MIJ electronics are also of a lesser quality than the MIA. Neither bass has a graphite reinforced neck (remember they are re-issues) All in all , the MIA bass is pretty much a duplicate copy of a 75 bass and the MIJ is a copy of what the bass looks like. With the pup in the normal place it sounds like a regular jazz bass.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a MIA jazz and a MIA 75RI jazz. The MIA jazz has Lindy Fralin pups in it. They are two different basses. Before I changed pups in the MIA jazz it just had a heavier (thicker maybe) sound that sounded great the way it was. I just wanted to try the Fralin pups in a ash bodied maple neck bass. The pups cleaned up the "E" string nicely while making a clear sounding bass even clearer. The graphite neck has a different profile (not better, not worse) than the 75RI bass, it does stay pretty straight as the weather here changes, causing some of my non graphite bass necks to bow slightly with climactic changes. My MIA jazz is my staple bass, my 75RI probably my main gigger. The MIA jazz will also except a 110 "E" string while I would not put more than a 105 on the 75RI bass. Both are great basses and worth the money. Both of mine where bought new and have never had any issues!

8. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man, a year ago i bought the MIA 75 RI, and man, honestly its great. I get compliments on the tone and clarity almost everywhere i play. Im in school right now for music where i play alot of classic jazz and latin. it sounds great there and on the friday night rock stage. i have recorded it several times and the tone is growly and bright. you cant go wrong with the 75' man, mine has a maple fretboard which adds to the bite. check it out...
    ryan

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I just got an osborn five and I think it's Killer! Plays way better, imo, than any American J I've played.

I've said this before, and I stand by it - LAKLAND MAKES A BETTER FENDER THAN FENDER DOES!

10. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    sooo quality wise the Skylines are on par with MIAs? I got to play a MIA Jazz yesterday at my LGC out of a Mesa Walkabout and Mesa 4x10(closest to my set up). Gots to say very impressed with the tone, very meaty and growly(the S-1 switch pressed in and out), but I'd like to try a Skyline JO and a 75RI(both of which are hard to come by around here) to get a comparison.