1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tampabass, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I just picked up a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4, and I'm curious about something related to the controls.

According to the Lakland site, the Skyline 44-60 (which I assume has same specs as Joe Osborn) has controls that are Volume/Volume/Tone, while the US made has Passive Model Concentric (Stacked Knobs) Volume/Tone-Volume/Tone.

Mine, though, has Passive Model Concentric (Stacked Knobs) Volume/Tone-Volume/Tone.

The neck is clearly Skyline, with the optional hipshot-D tuner.

So should I assume that mine is a Skyline modified with stacked knobs? Or is it possibly a US-made body with a Skyline neck?

Aside from detaching the neck from the body, is there any way to determine if it's US-made, Skyline, or something else altogether?

It certainly plays, feels and sounds like a Lakland. My guess, as of now, is that it was simply modified.

Yes, I can ask the owner (who is not on TB, as far as I know). But I'd like to see what the Lakland experts here think, first.

2. What color is it? I am not aware of any stock Skyline JO's coming with the stacked knobs but there may have been a special run. I also don't think that the US bodies are a straight swap without some adjustments so it's probably most probably that the electronics were swapped at some point.

Post some photos. :)

3. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    it's the 3-tone translucent with tortoise shell pickguard. Yeah, I'm thinking it's simply that the electronics were swapped for stacked knobs. Will try to post pics when I can.

4. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    TTT

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Previous owner probably modded it. Skylines don't come stock that way.

6. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
  7. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    From talking to someone in the know, Joe didn't exactly care about tone, so I'm not sure the controls really matter. :D

8. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I don't really have an issue with the modified controls - I like them that way. Plays and sounds great. Just wondering. Only thing it might hurt would be resale value if/when I ever want to sell it. Wish that I knew that info in advance, though. thanks for the responses.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

No, that's actually a mod that would increase the value a little.

10. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Yeah, seems like it could (increase the value), except to the "no mods" devotees in the crowd. This one has the optional hipshot drop-D tuner, which could increase the value, I suppose - although, for me, I'll never use it and it just adds extra weight to the headstock.

11. I don't think the D tuner or the electronics will either increase or decrease the value. It might make it sell faster or slower but shouldn't affect the value. Unless it's a permanent mod (which it isn't) you should be fine. Skylines don't have a huge resale value to begin with but if you bought it used then you are in no harm of coming out worse.

12. What are the first two numbers in the serial number? That will give a year of manufacture.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not to me it wouldn't;)

I totally don't dig the way that setup is all interactive, and changing one pickups vol or tone knob changes the other pickups output.

14. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    it's an 06

15. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    That hasn't been an issue for me.

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Mine is a 2002 with stack knobs from the factory. I was told by the original owner that it was special ordered that way.

/rick