Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobay45, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I picked up a Lakland JO5 yesterday off of Ebay. Wasn't sure that I wanted it, but I found the reserve price and bid it for $699. No one out bid me like I hoped they would. Oh well, I'm sure that I will either enjoy it or put it back on the bay if I don't. It's lake placid blue with active pups and a rosewood fingerboard. It sounds like a sweet bass. The shop that was selling it told me that it was returned after about 5 months and is in perfect condition. It's coming with a gig bag. I think it's really a good deal for what all I'm getting. I haven't had a jazz bass in a few years either.

2. You just bid on it for the fun of it to up the price?

Interesting hobby.

I have heard awesome things about that bass and you would have no problem selling it on TB from the kind of chatter I heard.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Active pickups, eh? :eyebrow: They must have meant "active preamp"... I don't know of any active 5-string J pickups.

Congrats on the new bass, btw.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually decide which Lakland model I want to buy (not likely). ;)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent played the bass but ive played his sig flatwound strings, heh, theyre nice , if thats worth anything.

5. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    No, I found the reserve price and bid that amount. I wasn't sure that I really wanted the bass, but at that price I'll take it and try it out. If I just bid to up the price, I wouldn't have followed through with the purchase, would I? I really thought that someone else would outbid me on it though and that wouldn't have upset me at all.

BTW, I didn't say any of that in my original post. It wasn't just for fun and I don't see how it upped the price since all I did was bid the reserve. The only hobby I have is playing music, not jacking up ebay prices.

Lockout, you're right about the "active" part being the pre. I'm a little old school in my terminology. Anything active was refered to as active pickups.

6. Look, I am happy for you. Sounds like you got a good deal. Let us know what you think when you get.

I always uphold my contracts. I do not make promises I can't keep. If I bid on ebay, I would hope that I would win at the lowest price. But whatever, man. More power to ya.

7. I have one like the one you just bought. I really enjoy it. It's passive and has Lindy Fralin pickups. They are great basses so you should be able to flip it if it doesn't speak to you. I really dig mine...

[​IMG]

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nice score at a very good price! I have similar one with a maple neck.

Although I have a factory installed J-Retro preamp in my bass, i've played my bass in passive mode and the pickups sound great. Lindy Fralin pickups have what I call a nice warm balanced modern-vintage style response.

Since you have the rosewood board model, you can also consider having a guitar tech pull the frets so that you have a "lined" fretless bass. They'll typically insert maple veneer strips whiere the frets were formerly located. I recently had this done to a Skyline 55-01 and she's a lot of fun to play.

9. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    That's a great idea! I have been considering a fretless for some time now and that might be a good option for this bass.

One thing I didn't mention is that this bass is the Skyline JO5. Old City Bass, is yours a U.S. model? It's the first photo I've seen with the pickup cover on it.

Since this used JO5 was listed as being active by the seller, who is a dealer, I think it must have the factory installed J-Retro pre in it also. I didn't know enough about this particular bass to ask him that question when I talked to him though. I just like my 55-02 so much that I thought I would bid on it and see what happened.

10. No, mine's a Skyline too. I added the cover. :)

I am seriously considering putting a J-retro in this bass. I had a J-retro in a Fender J and it was killer. This bass just sounds really good passive though.

Mobay45, If that one has a J-retro in it, you REALLY got a deal! I saw the auction and I would guess that it's passive. And that the auction description is just a mistake by the seller or, an uninformed seller. Did they have any pics?

11. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I didn't ask for pics. He says it's in perfect condition and I took him at his word. I looked at his feedback and decided to give it a go. I might call him Monday and ask about the pre amp. Since he is a dealer, I would think that he would know the difference. How much does the pre amp add to the price of a new JO5?

The pickup cover gives it a cool retro vibe. I have a '79 Fender P that I've kept the ashtray on but I don't even know where the pickup cover is anymore. I did have it at one time though. I just never liked playing with it on the bass.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Retail price on a new J-Retro was $250, and Lakland does not charge for installation.

13. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I checked with the guy that I bought the JO5 from and he told me that he was in error about it being active. It has the passive Lindy Fralins in it. Everyone says that they sound fantastic. I'm still going for it. I haven't had a good passive bass in years! It should be a nice change.

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Not my 1st color choice, But if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Let me know.