Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline: Joe Osborne 5!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LifeSpitter, Jan 4, 2006.

1. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Just played one.....wow.

It made every fender in the shop seem like a piece of junk.
    FAT low B. really clear sound too....

It was only $1000....is there some catch here???

(Also,...i'd welcome some comparison between the joe osborne and the darryl jones model if anyone can provide it.)

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Some people would argue that the "catch" is that it is made in Korea (before being set up in Chicago).

IMO, it doesn't matter that much where a bass is made. Sure, I'd rather have a USA model, but not for twice the price. And at the $1k price point, I'd rather have a Lakland Skyline than most MIA Fenders, but that's just me. To be fair, one of the reasons that the Lakland may have seemed better is that they are noted for arriving so well set up. The JO may not have been abused by raucous idiots yet. ;) The two MIA Fenders I have played would have seemed much better if they had been better set up (action, truss rod) -- whether this was the fault of the store or the factory, I can't say. My DJ5 arrived at my doorstep with flawless setup -- ready to play right out of the box -- I've hardly had to tweak it at all.

In the end, I ended up getting a DJ5, because I wanted something with a little more aggressive tone than the JO. I'd most like to have both, personally. :D The DJ's bridge pickup is in the '70s position, about 1/2" closer to the bridge. Also, the Aero pickups seem to have a little more "bite" where the Fralin pickups on the JO have a little more "warmth."

The standard statement is that the JO replicates a 60s Jazz, while the DJ replicates a 70s Jazz. Both are excellent.

I've played some great MIA Fenders, but I'd rather have a Lakland Skyline personally (except for vintage or custom shop Fenders). Many others will no doubt disagree -- many, many times more MIA Fenders are sold than Laklands, obviously.

3. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    The Electronics are all the same though right?

And the pickups are still fralin's?

So there really is no catch....

(also,..whats the price on the DJ5?)

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Skylines are same dimensions, same pickups as American. Skyline has plastic nut, American has bone. Skyline has half sawn neck, American has quarter sawn. Both have two graphite reinforcement bars in neck. Both have same bridge and tuner hardware. Both are string through body OR bridge (the bridge has holes at the base so you do not have to string through the body.

JO has Frailins in both.

DJ has Aero Single Coils in both.

JO available in more color combinations and has dot neck.

DJ has block neck inlays and matching colored headstock.

No catch. Great basses. Do it.

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I LOVE my Lakland Skyline DJ5. The Aero pickups are stellar sounding too! They cut through the mix and have great tone. I personally love MOP block inlays and the matching painted headstock is an extra bonus. So for me, the DJ5 called my name a little more than the JO5. I am tempted to score a white DJ5 with Maple FB and a J-Retro for something fun. My current DJ5 is black sparkle. I like it so well, I don't want to mess with dropping in a J retro. It's nice having a passive bass with this much punch! Gary

6. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    half sawn neck...
    quarter sawn neck....

whats the difference?
    (excuse my ignorance)

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It has to do with the way they cut the wood for the necks. I don't really understand how the cut produces the grain pattern, but many people believe that quarter-sawn necks are stronger, although I seem to recall that Roger Sadowsky tried to disprove this at one point. Doing a search might yield more info from more knowledgeable sources.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The best JO5 setup, is one with a J Retro. AMAZING bass.

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I wonder which would be better; a JO5 with J retro, or a DJ5 with J Retro. Things that make you go Hmmm. I'm tempted to get a JO5 since it has the classic Fender Jazz body as opposed to the smaller DJ5 body.