Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Joe Osbourne!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Oct 11, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Anybody played one? seen one? heard from a kid down the street about one? I am thinking about another jazz bass, and this one may fit the bill.... So let's hear the stories from any/all that may have played with one... also, anyone know any online retailers that are selling 'em yet? thanks for any help!

P@

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The ad in Bassplayer even shows a 5 string model. The price for that one might be about $1,300 to $1,400.

3. If I was in the market for a jazz bass thats what I would buy.

4. Anybody played one? seen one? heard from a kid down the street about one?

First, bear in mind that I do work for a Lakland dealer, so I may have a slightly slanted perspective. :)

I'm not a Jazz bass guy. I buy them, play them, like them for a few minutes, then quickly grow to dislike them, and swore off them completely several months back. I just am never fully happy with narrow-aperture single-coil pickups it seems, at least not on my main bass. I'm a humbucker guy at heart, it seems. However, I've been strongly tempted to take home one of ours. I find myself playing them with too much frequency for my liking, as I really don't need another bass. But still, I keep playing the darn things.
    The neck profile is a slightly narrow J, but with some good meat to the thickness. Not chunky, but it doesn't feel twiglike, either.
    The Lindy Fralin pickups are very nice, good clear, strong sound. Not nearly as nasal as many Js I've played, there's some actual low end coming from the bridge pickup.
    The ones we have in right now that I've been playing are the limited-run Dudepit JOs, sherwood green metallic finish, matching headstock, so I can't comment on their other finishes, and they come with factory installed J-Retro preamps, so I don't know how these basses sound with a purely passive tone stack. With the retro, they sound great, very clear, with a strong low end.
    I'll cease my ramblings, but suffice to say I liked them much more than I expected to, enough that it worries me.

mike
    dude's roadie

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Anybody see a 5 string JO anywhere out there?

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I have a Lakland Joe Osborne 5.. The Skyline versions should be here in about a month...

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Here is a shot of a brand new one. I love the maple board jazz's.

[​IMG]

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    www.starrsguitars.com

I don't think they are on this site yet. He just got them in today. You can call and ask.

9. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...From Dude.

[​IMG]

As Mike stated a few posts earlier......this bass certainly grows on ya.

Limited Edition , Matching HS , J Retro w/Fralins....
    ...very solid Jazz !!!!

Big Ole Thumbs up from this player !!!

PJR

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow PJR..... that's pretty sweet.... you wanna send it my way for a couple of weeks for a test drive? ;) So how does it compare/contrast to MIA and MIJ jazz basses? I know you have the J retro in it, so really I am more concerned with the playability...

P@

11. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    J-Retro aside.......this plays is very playable !!!

I really can't make a fair comparison to MIA Fenders , as I've never owned one......been primarily a Pedulla , Alembic , Brubaker .....you get the idea.

I will say this...the neck is very smooth and fast, and the ergonomics of the bass feel right when strapped.

Attention to detail is/was very high.....with this limited edition run of 24 basses.

But.......don't take my word.....check out the words from the others that have bought this bass in the Dudepit JO Thread

PJR

...and sure . I'll send the bass to you. What will you send me in return ??? ;)

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    how about a MIM Jazz? that way you know what you are missing!

:D

P@

13. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...lol......I'll have to sleep on that generous offer ! :)

PJR

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    How much more does the Dudepit charge for the J-Retro upgrade?

15. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    The bass I own, was part of a special custom order lot of 24 made: J-Retro , Lindy Fralins , Matching HS . (Dan does not usually make the Matching HS !!)

Dude has a few left.......just ask him, he's pretty easy/cool to deal with.

I believe he has one right now on Ebay for $1299 BIN.

PJR

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    FYI,

I asked Dan about when he expects to ship JO Skyline fives to dealers. He just emailed me back and stated that it may not be till sometime in December.

17. I just talked with Beaver at Bass Central in Orlando, FL. He says slated delivery time for the 5's are in Novemer. I ordered one in black with rosewood board. I also ordered an Aguilar OBP3 for it. I wanted a good jazz style 5 besides Fender. Couldn't afford the USA JO5, Lull or Sadowsky so this seemed like the right ticket. Let me know as soon as someone plays one.

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I also have one on order with Bass Central. I have a black with maple board & b/w/b guard. I think I'm gonna leave it passive or throw a Sadowsky pre-amp in her. I ordered it in June. I hope BC get's them soon. :)

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey, are the Skyline JO 5'ers a 35" scale?

P@

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Pmkelly,

The email that I received from Dan Lakin yesterday confirmed that the Skyline JO five string has a 35" scale.

And just to clarify my earlier post, Dan also said "We probably won't be shipping until December(hopefully early). I don't have that many coming in so it would be in your best interest to pre order through one of our dealers."

So, the JO Skyline GAS gang might want to get their orders in soon.