Lakland Skyline - No case...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GmanJeff, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GmanJeff

GmanJeff

May 16, 2008
    Vienna, VA
    Over the weekend I took advantage of Music123's 20% 4th of July sale to buy a 44-02 Deluxe. Neither the Lakland site nor the Music123 site were clear about whether the bass comes with a case or gigbag. I called called Music123, but they were unable to help, as they can't physically check inventory over a weekend. Since I was getting what seemed to me like a really good price on the bass, I ordered it anyway. Today, I e-mailed Lakland directly, and discovered that no case or gigbag is supplied, so I added a gigbag to my order. To their credit, Music123 was obliging about the change, and didn't charge any shipping for the extra item.

I'm a little surprised that a $2K retail instrument doesn't come with a case or gigbag. As a guitarist, I've always been supplied with good hardshell cases when buying guitars, whether acoustic or electric. My only previous bass, a Washburn X102 blem, didn't come with a case, but it only cost $80 brand new, so I wasn't surprised. I am a very casual bass player, and this is my first "good" bass - I don't know what the industry standard practice is. Is this usual for basses in this price range? It's not like the extra $70 for the Lakland gig bag is a big deal, but it does leave me feeling somewhat nonplussed.:eyebrow:

2. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Lakland used to supply gig bags with the Skylines (at least the one's I've bought over the years came w/ a Lakie gigbag). My personal opinion is that any guitar or bass in that price range should come from the factory with *at least* a decent gigbag.

3. Yes.. I agree as well..Just a shame if you ask me..

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The old question arises again... do you add $50 to the price of every bass and have people complain that they dont need a gig bag, or dont include one to keep the prices as low as possible and catch the wrath of the other half of civilization??
    Add the price of a gig bag and then compare total spent to any other bass for quality, craftsmanship and sound, then see if you are happy, or not... it's simple for me, I love them and I order a gig bag when I buy one!!

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    All of the skyline's I've bought didn't come with a gigbag or case......personally that's fine with me. I already have a double gig bag and a couple hardcases I use.

6. i think cars should come with free gas supply...

some stuff just aint fair

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Do yourself a favor and don't buy the Lakland case - The Skyline case that my ex 44-02 came in was one of those plastic SKB knock-of's that was damaged in bound. Basically a piece of crap that gave it's all protecting the bass from Fedex.

The settlement allowed me to score a G&G. Far as cases and I go - it's gig bag's or Tolex - cheap plastic clamshells are worthless IMO. The straps come unglued, the hinges are weak and the handles don't last ... Fender, G&L, Lakland ... they all seem to use the same case...

MF & GC has a nice padded Road Runner gig bag for about $40 that does fine. G&L provides basically the same bag with their Tribute Series basses. I've gotten a lot of miles out of those...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021