Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline or MTD Kingston 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Nov 21, 2002.

1. MTD Kingston 5

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Lakland Skyline 5

37 vote(s)
    75.5%
  1. I am SERIOUSLY considering one of these two basses for my next bass purchase, as you can tell by my profile. I have played a Kingston and loved it, but haven't had the chance to play the Skyline yet. Could anyone make a recommendation for either one? And could they explain why?

A very important thing is obviously the B. The B on the Kingston is better than any other 500 dollar bass that I've played. Is the Skyline's good too?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Skyline is very good, but the Kingston 5 has perfect playability for me so it gets my vote.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    different prices, bro- and the Skyline has an active pre- ut many people prefer the fell of the MTD--

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well - there you go- that last post was being written at the same time as mine--

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Personally, I think you should get a ZON. ZON basses rock so hard that they render all other basses both inferior and obsolete. I have 43 ZON basses. Did you know that ZON graphite necks are better than any other bass necks on the planet? Well they are. What I really love about ZON necks is how low you can set the action. I keep the action on all my ZON basses at exactly .2765398412cm. HA! Try that with a wood neck!

As far as the basses you mentioned, well, they'll never be as good as a ZON. But then, what could even come close to a ZON? MTD basses are WAAAYY overpriced. Don't believe me? Compare your average MTD to your average ZON. Sure, the ZON costs a bit more, but since it'll be at least 27 times better of a bass than the MTD, it's worth it. And Laklands? LACKLANDS??? Give me a break. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as (inhale......exhale) ZON. I mean, c'mon....only Liberals play Laklands. :rolleyes:

Your mileage could not possibly vary.

6. OMG I FELL OFF THE CHAIR LAUGHING!!!!!!! THAT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!

When you said "your mileage could not possibly vary" I got a little confused. Could you explain?

adrian garcia: You're right, they are different prices, but I was still considering both. I was kinda leaning on the Kingston because its cheaper and I do like it a lot. Active electronics are not hugely important for me right now; they would be maybe in the future.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    did i miss another one?:confused:

8. I vote for the Lakland 5501.
    Bart split coils, active electronics, ash body. I think you would get a lot more bass with the Lakland.
    I would go for the natural with maple fretboard :D

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm biased.....

[​IMG]

killer bass... get the preamp upgrade in it, and it is just a monster bass!

P@

10. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I just picked up a Kingston 5 Fretless. Although you are not looking for a fretless, I can say that the pickup sounds very nice for a passive. But it is a bit limited in range. The B string is very tight and the bass is has great playability.

I've never played a Lakland, but it seems like they have a very loyal following.

My biased vote goes to the Kingston.

Good luck.

x

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hey how about a ZON???????;)

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

If your looking at spending below $500, the Kingston/Heir is the best choice. If your looking at the $700-1100 range then the Skyline.

Just a heads up. I may be selling my Kingston 5 string since Im getting a Modulus. PM me.

13. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When I bought my 5 string (I held out for over 20 years before going to a 5!), I was looking at the MTD Kingston and Lakland Skyline (as well as some other basses). I ended up going with the Skyline. I liked the MTD a lot and it is undoubtably a great bass. But the asymmetrical neck (the apex of the back of the neck is off-center) wasn't my cup of tea. On the other hand, I did like the MTD's round-over on the side of the neck -- that was very comfy. The other thing that made me like the Skyline better was the active preamp. I'm into that sound.

D7

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think the 55-01 is a step up from the Kingston 5. Both are reasonably priced excellent basses, but the Lakland has the edge in electronics and value IMO.

15. My thoughts exactly. But in any case, you can't go wrong with either.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You win.

:D

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am no liberal. I had to pay for my Lakland.;)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and about the active electronics. 450 for a Kingston, about 180 for a Bartolini HR-2.4AP, you're in business for about the same price as a Lakland, and with a better B, IMHO.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Wait a second, then where's MY Lakland? :confused: :D

20. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I have one of each, a Lakland 55-01 fretted, and an MTD Kingston 5 fretless. It's like comparing apples to oranges. If I had to choose I would choose the Lakland. You get a larger variety of tones.

Chris A.:rolleyes: