Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline Osborn 4 vs. Fender Am.Dlx. Jazz 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Your choice and why!

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own the Fender, but I also beleive that right now Laklands Skylines are some of the best values on the market and probably better put together then most MIA Fenders. But in this case your talking two different animals, The Amer. Deluxe has a three band active pre, I believe the new ones are 18 volt and a graphite reinforced 22 fret neck (slightly longer scale). The osborn is a passive traditional style Jazz, If your looking for a 60's vibe go with the Osborn but I'd still add the J-Retro Pre (factory option) and have lakland do the install , I believe the control cavity is different then a std. jazz. If your looking for a Slap, and more modern tone bass, I'd look at the Fender hard, One other option to consider is the Daryl Jones, In fact I think a great shootout would be the DJ (with J-retro ) against the American Deluxe. Much more comparible!

3. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I know that it's a comparison between an active and a passive bass, and that the DJ vs Am.Dlx.J is a better comparison, but I'm a lefthanded player and the DJ is not available lefthanded. In fact, I think the Osborn is the only lefthanded skyline available. And fender is going to manufacture (after a long time) lefthanded Am.Dlx.J's again this year, thus that's why I made this 'unlogical' comparison.

4. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I've got to mention that I have a lefty Stingray, which I use for slap and agressive sounds.
    I am in search of a (lefty) bass, which can sound warm but also funky. It has to compensate the 'Ray.

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would definately say Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA. I think its just an allaround better bass in all aspects and , I also prefer active pickups over passive so...... yea Fender J-Deluxe MIA :smug:

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My point was not that you should buy a Daryl Jones but that it really depends on what you want! If your looking for a 60's vibe, get the Joe Osborn, Put some Good Flats and you'll come as close as you can to a 62 for arround a grand. If you want a more modern slightly more versitile bass get the Fender. Also if your looking for a lefty let us know in your origional post! I can't read minds in cyberspace only in person.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Deluxe as it has great build quality (compared to other Fenders) and amazing tonal selection.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    FWIW - I played a Lakland DJ this past weekend and was blown away! I would strongly put it on your short list of basses to check out. Very impressive tone, feel quality. I did not like the Fender neck. It was much deeper and felt wider. Too chunky for me. These were both 5 string basses however.