1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland skyline prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Oct 6, 2013.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    How come used 44 02s are nearly twice the price (and much rarer) than 44 01s? Seems like a pretty glaring discrepancy

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    It all has to do with the preamp and pickups...

The 44-01 has a cheaper Bart preamp and Bart pickups...

The 44-02 has the much more expensive and variable LH3 (or for older basses, a more expensive and variable Bart Pre-amp).

there is about a $700 to $800 difference in new costs between the 44-01 and 44-02 at retail.

Make sense?

PS - IMHO - the 44-01 is underpriced

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's kinda true...in a way!

The preamp in the 44-01 has nothing at all to do with Bartolini. It's just some generic Korean made preamp.

The pickups say Bartolini on them, but they also have nothing to do with real Bartolini's. They are also Korean made pickups and they licence the Bart name to put on them. I have no idea what Bartolini was thinking, they sound nothing like Barts and these pickups give them a bad name.

But yeah, the electronics are the only difference in the basses.

4. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    The Korean Licensed Barts are a very popular option on lots and lots of entry-priced basses. They're no better or no worse than the stock pickups found in most of these basses, with the exception of Ibanez, I find many of their stock pickups to be far superior to the Korean Barts.

The Lakland LH3 pickup / preamp system is extremely sophisticated and made with very high quality parts.

Insofar as "stock" electronics go... the Lakland LH3 system and the Sadowsky system stand out as the finest proprietary systems available anywhere, and the LH3 is a popular upgrade for modders....

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd add the Fodera/Pope pre to that list as well.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Maybe it's because the new price of a 44-02 is almost twice the price of a new 44-01?

;)

7. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I have always wondered why 44-02s are so much more -- can the pups and preamp really add $550-600 to a bass? It seems like a high quality MM and J plus a good preamp would top out at a cost of $350-$400 max.

On the other hand, if you buy a used 44-01 and put some good electronics in it (maybe some Nordie big splits and an aggie pre) you would have one hell of a soapbar bass.

8. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have a 55-02 and it's an amazing bass, but the 44-01/55-01 are good basses too. They might not have the big name electronics, but they sound pretty good.

The biggest difference in the 01 and 02 models is that the 01 is completely assembled in Indonesia. The 02 (and all other Skylines) use Indonesian labor to do the CNC work and basic setups, then the basses are shipped to Lakland in Chicago where they are inspected, the US electronics are installed, and they are PLEK'd before shipping to the dealer. The extra shipping and US labor could easily add up a few hundred bucks. Of course, you have to add profit on that too.

I can see how the price difference is what it is.