1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Skyline question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Sep 17, 2002.

1. What is the difference between models with NTMB electronics and those without (other than about $250.00)

2. The only Skyline with non-US electronics is the 55-01.

I spent about an hour and a half in the Lakland factory last Friday playing everything Dan had - and was highly impressed by all the Skylines. Build quality and fretwork was on par with US Laklands.

I played them all - and although I'm really nitpicking here I didn't like the 55-01's tone as well as the basses with US electronics. The 55-01 is a hell of a bass in its own right - but wouldn't be my first choice. Playability on any of the Skylines is just great. If you blindfolded me I don't think I could tell a US model from a Korean one (except for the 55-01 which has no US counterpart - and a pretty distinctive tone).

Most of the people I know who have played both the 55-01 and 55-02 prefer the more expensive Skyline. The Korean electronics are pretty good for any bass - but IMO the US electronics are quite a bit better - and well worth the $250.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like the 55-01 better. I like the sound of two soapbars better than the mm/jazz configuration, I think it is more versatile.

Also, I have a Tobias with the US Bartolini preamp, and the Skyline sounds BETTER in a side by side test. I think the difference in woods (swamp ash vs. maple) and construction (bolt on vs. neck through) makes a bigger difference in the sound than the preamps. Of course YMMV....

4. I've played both the stock 55-01 and the stock 55-02, although I have NOT played the 55-01 with upgraded Bart preamp.

IMO, if you're looking for an aggressive, crunchy Stingray tone, the 55-01 nails that sound BETTER than the 55-02. I know that's counter-intuitive, because the 55-02 is the one with the Stingray-shaped pickup, but the 55-02 sounded much smoother to me.

I loved the 55-01's I played.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What Jordan says makes sense, in that, Lakin's vision of the 55-94, (which is what the 55-02 is a clone of), has always been a marriage of the richness of a Jazz and the percussive aggression of the Ray.

Still, in the 8 months I've owned my 55-02, I've been trying various strings in attempt to tone down it's incredibly punchy, percussive, raw, tone while preserving its full-throated, big bottom.

The 55-02 is very versatile compared to the one-trick-pony Stingray.

6. grizzwell

grizzwell

Feb 22, 2002
    Honolulu
    The 55-02 is very versatile compared to the one-trick-pony Stingray.

You said a mouthful.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    while i will agree that the 55-01 is more aggresive than the 55-02 - i totally disaggree that 2 soapbars are more versatile than the mm/j - having said that- what never seemed to make much sense to me is adding a us bart pre to the 55-01 - the mk1 pre sounds great all by itself- if you want the us pre and pups- i suggest just going with the 55-02 because, well. I just think the mm/j pups are more versatile - but this is just my opinion, and what do i know??:D

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Let me clarify what I meant by "versatile", maybe I used the wrong word. To me, the MM/J configuration has a distinct "Lakland" sound, while the soapbar configuration is more generic, and can IMO reproduce more standard tones than the MM/J. I have 5 basses with soapbar pickups, it is one of the more common configurations, and one that I am used to. Of course YMMV.