Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline questions....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pmkelly, May 18, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Alrighty then, a quick two-part question... does anyone know what strings come on the Skylines, and what strings are you putting on your lakland? thanks!

P@

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They come with Lakland's own custom wound strings.

I got my 55-02 used, it came with Hi-beams on it and I'm loving them. I have ordered some of the Lakland nickel wounds just to try them, I'm generally more of a stainless steel string person.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lakland strings are made my GHS.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Lakland strings absolutely suck. I picked up a "deal" on 3 sets a while back, and every single one of the B strings snapped during the initial tuning.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I put D'Addario XL's on my 55-01, only because I couldnt find an extra long set of Slowounds to fit the 35" scale.

I didnt care for the stock strings at all.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've got DR sunbeams on my 55-01 fretless. They sound good.

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have extra long Slowounds on my Status which is either 34,5 or 35" scale, i bought them from sheetmusicplus.com. I think justrings.com carries them aswell.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As cheezwhiz says, my 55-02 came with strings that were actually made by GHS. A good, conscientious, maker like Dan Lakin & Co. will put on the strings that they believe show the best qualities of their instruments.

Personally, I didn't particularly like the GHS nickels that came on it. I tried Pedullas (also a GHS string), and a steel set of Lakland strings. But, I'm still stuck on my steel DR's and like them best on the bass....Lo Riders or "Marcus" to get rid of the super-edgy highs on my ash/maple Skyline.

BTW - If you like the GHS's, juststrings.com has a deal going on till the end of this month on GHS bass strings....buy 2 sets or more of GHS bass strings and get a free bottle of GHS Fast Fret neck & string lube. In the "Comments" section of the order form, you have to include the message - "Please include a package of GHS Fast-Fret with my order of GHS Bass Strings" (I'm not connected in any way with GHS or juststrings.com).