Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Since I have to wait til after NAMM to my get 55-02, I decided to buy a 55-01 from an out of state store. I had a recording session tonight, and as I was leaving, the UPS guy was pulling up, so I took it out of the box and put her in the car, and headed for the studio. I decided to record the first track with the Skyline. After listening to the playback, I recorded ALL of the tracks with the Skyline! Enough of the "Which budget bass should I get?" threads!:D Here's your answer right here! Dan nailed it! GREAT bass! Mine is natural with a maple board, and an upgraded US Bart system. Nice, tight B string. I think Dan has F'ed up the curve for budget basses!:eek:

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Next time you call $1K+ instruments "budget basses" I swear I'll kill you! :D

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

(Cowboy twang: ON)

Ya'd better smaile when ya say that, pardner!!

(Cowboy twang: OFF)

Actually, the list price on the Skyline 55-01 is $995, meaning the "real" price is in the $750 range.

The 55-02 lists for $1599, and sells more in the $1200 range.

I agree, I wouldn't call these "budget", but they are certainly mid-line basses, and INCREDIBLE values, particularly the -02, IMO.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D
    Gard, still waiting for the pix!:p

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    FART, I did, didn't I...? ---> :D

I'm just bitter 'cause I'm too poor to afford a new bass, regardless of price... :(

6. That's pretty cool for a bass right out of the carton, Woody.
    Yep. :eek: :D

7. could you go into detail about the tone and playability?
    I'm looking at two options; a lakland skyline or a stingray 5.
    I'm not confident in the rays ability to hold down a jazz gig- but I may be wrong. Can the lakland get a cool jazz tone? Is it easy to play? FWIW the ray 5 is the easiest playing 5 I have ever played.

8. DenverKen

DenverKen

Dec 20, 2001
    Mile High City
    Whoa, oyster-boy, that's very C-O-O-L. I love the tune, and specially the bass groove/tone (which IMHO are nearly inseparable). Keep doing that!

Denver Ken

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Aw, you're too kind. :D

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So, can someone ask Dan Lakin when the import Joe Osborn/Bob Glaub/Jerry Scheff models will be available?

Oh, and the hollowbody?:eek::D

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well- i have an 01 and an o2 coming- i look forward to a-b ing the 02 and my american 55- 94-
    dont know about the import osborn and glaub- but the Skylines will be available with figured tops soon-

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So, with a figured top, what will differentiate the Skylines from the 55-94? The tuners and headstock decal?

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i dont think the fingerboards will be birdseye ( if maple) and the graphite reinforcement i think isnt there on the imports, and the good ol' American quality!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thanks, Adrian. I remembered the graphite after I posted.

Sounds like they'll sell a ton of them.

15. The Bartolini Mk1 pups in the Skyline are the same as in some models of Cort basses, indicating that the Skylines are built in the CorTek factory, which is where the Spectors, Corts, Tobias, Vantage,etc come from. It's a good factory.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    They won't be figured tops, they'll be veneers.

17. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    since they're all made in korea,
    i'd love to see a side-by-side comparison "shoot-out"
    especially between the mtd kingston and the skylines.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oooh- thats right- Dan did say "veneer"- now i dont know how thats gonna work- i can see venner in the peghead, but the body top?
    and in all fairness- the Laks list for way more than the Kingstons- and there is a whole lot more eq on them- its not really a fair comparison- but MTD has a couple of things up their sleeve, too!- stay tuned...

19. I just emailed him.

Here's my review of the skyline series again..