1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Skyline to American?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Feb 18, 2008.

1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi,

I was wondering, becuase Lakland just ships it out to Korea to make their Skylines and brings them back to finish them, If you put an American Lakland neck on a Skyline, could anyone tell the difference? They are the same electronics and such.

Thx

Roy

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Others would no better than me, but I would guess that the you wouldn't notice the difference, however, just keep your eyes peeled for a used USA Lakland.

3. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    I'm still keeping an eye out for a 4-94 but I went on the perfectbass.com and there's a 44-02 color I'm in love with (Transparent amber and the transparent natural)

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I believe I read somewhere here that a USA neck will not fit onto a Skyline body. Dan designed it that way on purpose.

5. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I got a used 4-94 off the classifieds here and it is a smokin' bass. The necks on the US Laklands are superb. I've not had the Skyline version to compare head's up with mine however. I have had several Skylines (Bob Glaubs [2], Hollowbody, Jerry Scheff) and they were all fantastic basses. I've had 3 US Laklands (Bob Glaub, 4-94, 4-76 w/ Darkstar) and the Skylines compare very favorably. The US one's just have that "extra something special" to me...

And I've heard the same thing about the necks not swapping...

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Hmmm...waht do you have up your sleeve Dr.? Something good comin on the market soon????

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I'm sure it could work, but take it from someone who had to replace the necks on 2 of my Skylines... not every *Skyline* neck fits perfectly if it wasn't installed initially as part of the complete package. It can leave a gap between the body and the butt of the neck in the neck pocket. The same MIGHT be true of a USA neck going on a Skyline body. Someone else mentioned that it could happen as well, but I can't remember who did. I blame this more on the fact that the Korean factory may have wider tolerances for neck drilling and such, not on Lakland's quality control or finishing. Mind you, neither neck was replaced because of anything Lakland did or didn't do... One bass was stored poorly and had a neck warp before it was shipped to me, one was cracked by UPS in shipping. The only way to do a neck swap and have it fit perfectly, without question, is to send the bass to Lakland and have them do it.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I think the main flaw with the idea is actually getting a USA Lakland neck. I've never seen anyone part out a Lakland like that, so your only bet is to get a complete USA Lakland bass. Once you have one, why keep the skyline, except as a backup. If you actually did swap the necks, and try to sell the body, to offset the cost, who would buy just a Lakland USA body?

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Me.

10. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    :D

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    And I wasn't being sarcastic.

12. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    i agree with buying a body to, but I think we would be the only people

13. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Roy,though the differences don't seem to matter,there are in fact major differences between the Skylines and U.S. basses.I have U.S and Skyline models.Having them both for such a long time,the differences became more noticable as time passed.

The biggest difference is in the necks! A few years ago,I tried to sweet-talk Dan into putting a U.S. neck on a Skyline and he called me everything but Jackie without cursing me!! hahaha he said the necks are their pride and joy and I understand where he's coming from.I'll hit you up later with a lot of the differences that I've noticed over the past 5 yrs.

Peace,

JC

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007