Lakland Skyline Tuning Keys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Oct 1, 2002.

1. I have noticed some of these lakland 55-01's have two different kinds of tuning machines. Some have the big elephant ear style while others have the small, more modern type. What the difference? What are they using on the new ones?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A number of Skyline owners like the old-school vibe of the old, Kluson/Schaller style, "elephant ear" tuners found on US Lakland models. Evidently, they bugged Dan Lakin about it and he is very responsive to Lakland customers.

The lightweight, more modern, Hipshot "Y-style" tuners on the Skylines are just fine, functionally. Actually, I like the fact that my "Y-style" tuners are enclosed as opposed to the old open gear style that gets crudded up over time.

It's just a cosmetic thing - vintage Fender love.

I read where someone was saying Lakland will offer the elephant ear tuners as retrofits for the Hipshots-type "Y's", but I haven't seen anything about it on the Lakland website.
  3. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    There seems to be a lot people that don't care for the Hipshot "Y" tuners because they "don't know how they will hold up over time", but I have them on my 55-01 & they seem to be a pretty high-quality tuner so far & I've not experienced any issues with them. I think it really just boils to aesthetics... IMO.:)
  4. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR

"There seem to be a lot of people..." not "There seems to be a lot of people..."

I don't know what came over me...

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I had a 55-02 Lakland and it had the Gotoh style tuners. When I first changed the strings one of the tuners threaded sleeve (mounts tuner from top side of headstock) fell off. I tried to reinstall it but could not get the threads to engage. At first I thought that the threads on the tuner or sleeve were messed up. I called Lakland and they were extremely apologetic and sent a new set of tuners ASAP. Unfortunately after the tuners arrived I encountered the same problem. After examination it became apparent that the thickness of the headstock would not allow proper engagement of the threaded sleeve to the male threads of the tuner. I finally had to mill down the trim washer to allow thread engagement. Lakland (Dan) told me via e-mail that they had since modified the thickness of the 55-01 & 55-02 headstocks and also changed to Hipshot tuners (probably not part of the problem;I think that they were just better tuners) to remeede this problem. I suspect that anyone that owns an older 55-01 or 55-02 would encounter a similar problem.