Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline vs G&L Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thule, Oct 21, 2005.

1. thule

thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    i'm in dillema what to buy – tribute L2500 or skyline 55-01 or 55-02

first question – is MM pickup on 55-02 worth extra money (comparing to 55-01)?!

i've read that bass and treble pots on tribute are cut only and they work same in active and passive mode, but on lakland they are cut/boost – how they work in passive mode?

tribute is cheaper, but people say that is very good for that money – is skyline's quality better because it has higher price or there isn't noticeable difference?!

what about B-string?! is it good on both or?!

now it's your turn.... please, answer these questions and write your experiences with both (or all three) basses....
    and please don't tell me – go to the shop and try them yourself – because there aren't distributors for lakland in croatia, and distributor for G&L has only one bass in the shop....

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    IMO the Skyline i yards better than a Tribute BUT if you like G&L's they are one of the best values on the used market and you cna get a used US for less than the price of a Skyline. I'm not sure why people buy Tributes when the used US are so affordable.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    On the Lakland, in passive mode, the EQ knobs don't work at all. That's what makes it passive mode. The pickup blend still works, however.

I just bought my 55-01 a few months ago, and I'm really diggin' it. To answer another of your questions, the low B is very deep. It's got a great sound to it, and a lot of versatility. I've never played a G&L, so I'll be pretty useless for a comparison. However, I can say that the pickups and preamp in the 55-01 have a great raw, aggressive sound to them. It can be made to sound smooth and mellow, but it's "natural" sound (if that's even a fair statement) is, again, very aggressive and punchy. Good luck in your decision!

4. Bump

5. thule

thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    thank you guys!!

@ buddy_lembeck – i know that american G&L will be better, but:
    what you said maybe is true in USA, but here, where am i, things are very different!! in all advertisments that i've looked (for croatia and slovenia (that's my country and first neighbours)) i found only one used G&L, and that was tribute!! only one!!

@ hollowman227 – thanks for the info about passive mode! btw – G&L has 3-way switch for pickup select what i don't like, because i found pickup blend very useful (at least on my current guitar), so that's another pros of skyline!
    have you tried 55-02 when you were buying your axe?! if you had – how would you describe the tone of 55-02? is MM pickup making a (big) difference?!

(sorry if there are typpos, i'm not really good at english)

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played either a 44-02 or a 44-94 (I can't remember which this fellow had), but they both have exactly the same preamp/pickup setup, so there should be no difference between them and the bass you're asking about. These basses sounded fantastic too... smoother and fatter than my 55-01. What I've heard from people who've played both the -01's and the -02's extensively is that it really comes down to preference rather than one sound being "better" than the other... though the -02's are more expensive, their MM pickups and preamp aren't necessarily better, just different. The great thing about Laklands is that even their lower Skyline models have great work done to them (particularly the necks), so you're not losing anything as far as fit and finish goes if you opt for a Skyline rather than the USA model.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I just got my 55-02 the other day and I LOVE it. It's so amazing and versatile. I'd take it over the G&L any day.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the Skyline. It is a really nice instrument for the price. The sound is great and it feels much better than a tribute. It is really close to the American models.

The Tribute is OK but the fit and finish of everyone I have seen at shops around the country have been questionable. It's a great deal. I would probably change the pickups. I think the pickups are the weak point on these basses. They are probably 80% of the American model in terms of features quality and value. The Skyline is probably about 95% in comparision to the American at half the price!!

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I wouldn't count on the Lakland MM pickup sounding anything like a real Musicman humbucker.

I've never played a G&L 5 string, but Lakland 5 string necks are so comfortable. I wan't one some day.

I do love my G&L 4 string, but can't compare the two 5 strings, which is what you really need.

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree with the fit and finish part, but change the pickups? That is the point of getting a Tribute, the G&L pickups in a cheaper package.

11. thule

thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    thanks for the answers!

reading this and other threads, it seems that skylines are really good basses for their price, so i think i'll get one (tribute is no longer in the game)!

now i'm in dillema between 55-01 and 55-02!
    chances are 60:40 for 55-02, because of the electronics – IF the pickups and preamp are really the SAME as in 55-94 models? or are they 'same' (cheaper parts or something like that)?!

what about deluxe model?! is there ony noticeable differences in sound or that's just cosmetics?

what string spacing they have?! 17.5mm or 19mm? (if you don't know in milimeters, you can give me in inches, i will easily recalculate that)

what is an average weight for those skylines? are they heavy (more than 10lbs / 4.5kg)?

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    The electronics in the 55-02 are the same (really the same) as the U.S. made 55-94. String spacing at the bridge is 3/4" (19 mm).

For full specs on the Skyline 55-02 check out this.

The maple topon the Deluxe is really thin, and has very little effect on the tone (if any).

I've never weighed my 55-02, but I'm sure it's less than 10 lbs. The dealer I bought it from told me that when he gets a shipment in he weighs all the basses and sends the ones he deems "too heavy" back to Lakland. Not sure what "too heavy" is, but my bass is lighter than most other basses I've picked up, 4 strings included.

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas

Well the fit and Finish on mine is better than most basses I have see from the Skyline models....And the pickups in the Tribute models are the same pickups as in the USA Models. Hell that is why you buy the Tribute for.

Where in the hell do half of you people live....Lets see a Tribute around here is $599.99 a USA Model 1,699.99. that's a 1,100 dollar difference.... And the Skyline here are almost $1,000 bucks....If Im going to spend $1,000 on a bass it will be a USA made bass.
    But then I don't consider $599.99 for a bass cheap either. Hell I even got my MIA Fender P-bass for way less then what a skyline cost....

14. before you throw the tribute G&L out of the game, check this link too:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-138436.html

15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got my Tribute L-2500 for about 400 bucks (gently used) off Ebay. I have yet to see any Lakland, in any condition, for under $900 USD. So, to me, that is like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. They are not even close to the same price range! How can they be compared?!
    My G&L Tribute plays and feels very good...not just for a cheaper bass...but in general. Yeah, it doesn't feel like my USA G&L L-2000, but it was almost a 1/3 of the price! The sound is really good...the pickups are the main selling point of the G&Ls. They use the same ones as in the USA models...although with cheaper pots and stuff.
    I always wondered how Lakland can justify the large price of the Skyline (Korea) made basses. If I'm spending 1500 or so dollars...it should be handmade (sort of) in the USA!!!

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 55-02 wins.

17. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I'd go with the G&L

18. thule

thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    so, we have a situation where both basses (tribute and 55-02) have same pickups as their american versions!! :hyper:

@ masher88 – "They are not even close to the same price range! How can they be compared?!"

you are right about the price, but my situation is that i have enough money to buy 55-02! :cool:

my question is which of those basses is better? (i know that is kinda stupid question, but as i said, i can't go to the shop and try them both, so i'm asking you guys)
    i'm not iterested in 'which is better FOR THE MONEY', but generally looking – is skyline better (it sounds better and/or has greater quality) or it's a waste of money (it's is nothing better than tribute)?!

:help:

@ lanzealot – thanks alot for that link!! (i have done the search, but that topic did't came out)

from what i've read till now:
    skyline's pros:
    - 35" scale
    - pickups and electronics same as -94 models
    - 19mm string spacing
    - pickup blend pot, not 3-way switch
    - it's not heavy

cons:
    - higher price
    - (anything else?)

thanks for the answers, i hope that you'll continue writing, because you're been really helpful!!

19. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    If you're willing to spend the money on a Lakland Skyline, why not go for a US made G&L 2500? If you can find a used one on the 'net it would be cheaper than the Skyline.

Also, anyone that is recommending the Skyline, have you even played a G&L? Maybe I'm just crazy for them, but I would much rather have a G&L than a Skyline, and yes I have played both of them.

20. thule

thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    here it's really hard to find them used!!
    and buying from someone on net before trying - no thanks!! :( :scowl:

if i find anything used that is good, i will go for that, that's sure, but most people here are selling (and buying) some cheap and not good instruments; better stuff (american fenders, musicmans, G&L, laklands, etc) is really very hard to find!