Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline vs MIM fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 7, 2002.

1. Lakland Skyline 4 string

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. Fender MIM Jazz Bass

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. im debating between 2 basses....

a MIM fender jazz

or a Lakland Skyline 4 string

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

could i get alot of info on the lakland sound and bass please??

2. I'll tell ya what I've found. A 55-01 w/ a maple board is the absolute best tone/dollar bass I've ever laid my hands on. And I spend a lot of time piddling around in stores lol :D

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For the price of the Lakland, you could compare it to a used MIA Fender.

I'd go MIA, but Lakland over MIM.

4. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    whoa man your comparing 2 different rate basses. Its like comparing a Gibson to a Squier. I don't know what the price is on the Lakland but IMO their is no other way to get the Fender tone unless you buy a Fender. And the Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe isn't gonna cost you too much of a pretty penny. Nor will a used MIA

5. between those two, the Lakland has the MIM beat hands down.

6. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I have a 55-02 w/ maple fretboard and a Jazz Active Deluxe 5 MIM w/ pao ferro. I prefer the Lakland. The B and E strings have a lot more punch. It has great low action and just feels solid. Both basses can be dialed in with tons of different tones. There is a certain tone I can only get with the Jazz. When I roll off the mids a bit and play slightly to the bridge pickup, I can get that buttery ballad tone that just wants to slide right off of the song. I personally find the Fender slightly easier due to smaller scale and string spacing, but the Lakland is definitely a better sounding bass. It's also a bit easier on my back, as the Jazz weighs a ton. I've never even had to tweak the truss rod on the Lakland (let's see how it acts this winter), but the Jazz is a bit finicky in that department.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    this is an unfair match and the winner is for sure, LAKLAND

8. well, price wise...

the lakland costs 699 US Dollars

the MIM about 550 US DOllars

yes.. im really digging the way the Lakland Maple FretBoard and Natural Finish bass looks.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Price wise, you're a little off.

The Lakland can be bought for $699, and probably a little cheaper.

I don't think the Fender even LISTS for $550. You can get them easily for under $400, sometimes around $350 if there's a sale. Unless you're talking about the MIM Deluxe Jazz, which does go for about $550. (But the picture you posted is of a Standard, which is what I'm assuming you meant.) :)

10. ahh, yes i did mean the deluxe jazz, the one i played at sam ash, was 550...

btw... i was looking at musiciansfriend.com , found this Lakland Skyline 5 String i love the natural finish and maple fretboard, gorgeus bass, but... i cant seem to find the 4 string version of that bass, around the same price, same look and evreything.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You're comparing the Lakland street price vs. the Fender List price. You can get a MIM new for around or under $400.

You can, however, get the MIA Fender used for about $550. Heck I've seen some New Old Stock Fenders going for not much more than that.

All I'm saying applies to the US. Since you didn't post your location, I (we) don't know how helpful this info is to you.

Where the heck are you? Fill your profile.

12. okie, updated profile.. im from NJ....

im really diggin' the laklands though, i hear they are really meaty and punchy..... * i should be going to GC soon, see if they have 1 in stock *

is their a 4 string version of this bass? :

[​IMG]

from HERE

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you are also comparing a 4 and a 5 string- the 4 string Skylines are not here yet. I would go Lakland myself- but of course, some will say that is because i sell them..

14. when will the 4 string skylines be avalible?

15. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Get both, eventualy, but get the Lakland first. I like my 55-94 (I know thats not what your compairing but) because it doesn't sound or play like my Jazz.