Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Jun 16, 2005.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What does everyone think about the quality and craftmanship of a Skyline? Do you think they are well put together basses? Thanks for any input :)
  2. There are lots of reviews about the Skylines on here. Doing a search will probably get you every question you'd ever ask answered.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My 55-01 is top notch as far as quality/workmanship and sound goes. An extremely well made instrument. The 5 string skylines also have graphite reinforced necks! Ha, boot that! :cool:
  4. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I got a standard 55-01 from BassCentral this past March for under 7 bills. Hell I now park my Sray 5 to take the 55-01 to gigs. This bass felt wonderful right out of the box, literally. I opened the box on a Wednesday nite and shot out the door with it to the nearest open mic jam. The host bass dude had a p.o.s amp, so I could only play the bass with the passive knob pulled out so I could stop farting his 1x15 cab. But then I opened her up that weekend on my rig, man what an awesome sound I got. I felt I played better than I had in weeks with either my Sray 5 or my MIM jazz 4. This is a very nice bass esp at that price. I don't even know why I am now trying to swing a deal with my ray 5 for a trade to a jazz style 5, it may sit at home too. Oh well, never satisfied and Sempre Gassy, booyah. :bassist:
  5. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    They are excellent.......I have two!
  6. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I don't own one but have never heard a single complaint about them.. anywhere. Right now, I'm in the market for a nice Jazz bass and I'm seriously considering a Skyline Joe Osborn.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My 55-02 is so close in quality to the super expensive USA model it's freaky. I have NO complaints! Awesome tone, playability, and appearance. My one minor gripe is it's a bit on the heavy side, but not bad.
  8. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I am looking to shake my ray 5 for a jazz style 5er. Maybe the 55-02 would give me the jazz sound and the MM pup is still there as well, hmmm. Could this be my solution? Or are these sounds in my 55-01 where I just have not found them yet?
  9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Not really. If you're looking for more of a straight up J replacement type, the 01 is probably a better choice. The "Lakland" sound is awesome, and makes for great tone (including slap), but it's not yer typical Fender type tone, nor is it exactly like an MM (even tho it uses that style of pickup).
  10. cgworkman

May 14, 2004

:) :bassist: :)
  11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  12. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I just picked up a 55-01 deluxe (nos) and use it along with my SR5 on all my jobs. I think they are a great sounding bass with an excellent fit and finish. I picked it up to get tones I can't get from the MM and it does it at a reasonable price.
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My Bob Glaub rules and has gotten several compliments. It's perfect in every way. I don't think I could even squeeze a piece of paper into the neck joint it's so tight (I'm not kidding).
  14. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    I got a Skyline JO5 and have nothing but good things to say about it--fit, finish, fretwork, hardware, pickups, all good.
  15. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have had a 55-01, 55-02 and 44-02 (which is for sale if anyone is interested). All great basses - Not one problem with them. I have most recently opted for Jazz style basses - so now I own (all Skylines) a JO4 and JO5 with J-Retro preamps and a JO4 fretless. They all sound great - feel great and look great. Lakland basses made me sell all of my Warwicks!
  16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As an owner of a 4-94 and 55-02, I can definitely say they are great basses.

The 55-02 is a great bass for the money, the craftmanship and sound are superb for a bass in this price range new, or used. On the other hand, the 4-94 is a plain out and out incredible bass. It does have a better feel, and the materials and craftmanship is top notch.

If you want the best in terms of craftmanship and materials, the USA series is some of the best I've ever seen. The fretwork is phenomenal. If you want excellent value from your money, then it's hard to lose on the Skyline series.
  17. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    The 55-01 is closer to a J-style than the neck pup on the 55-02? Isn't that a jazz (neck) pup on the 55-02 with a MM at the bridge? Did I miss something here?
  18. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe, and currently own a defretted 55-01 Deluxe with USA NTMB preamp and a Skyline JO5 with J-Retro preamp. These basses are an excellent value for the price. The play well, sound great, and feel real good in your hands as far as the neck and how the body hangs on you. The workmanship is also excellent for the price.

:bassist: :bassist:
  19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, but the classic J tones come from the blend and the bridge sounds, and that MM pickup doesn't sound like a J nor does it sound exactly like a EB/MM. It sounds awesome, growls like crazy, bright and punchy, but if you're lookin' for a J type bass replacement, the 01 is a closer match in tone. Remember, the shape of the pickup doesn't necessarily define tone.